1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle to sphere integration

1. Aug 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the formula for surface area of a sphere using integration of circles

2. Relevant equations

Need to get : S = 4πr2

3. The attempt at a solution

Consider a sphere of radius r centred on the origin of a 3D space. Let y be an axis thru the origin. The sphere can be sliced into a row of circles with the y axis at their centres. Consider one of these circles. The circumference c of the circle depends on it centre's distance from the origin such that
    c = 2πr cos θ , where θ is the angle from the origin between the (x,z) plane to any point on the circle's circumference. r cosθ is the radius of the circle.

For -r to r, y= r sinθ
    The Integration the circles circumferences along y from -r to r is
    2πr cos θ ∫dy
    Since y = r sinθ, then dy / dθ = r cosθ , so dy = r cos θ dθ
    so the integration formula is
    2πr2 ∫ (cos θ)2

I don't get the right formula from that integral.
    There's something wrong with my setting up the integral. I can't see what though. Please give me a hint or two.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The problem is in this last step. You're using ##dA = 2\pi r \cos \theta\,dy##, but that's only good when ##\theta \approx 0##, where a strip of the sphere looks like a piece of a cylinder. As you near the top and bottom of the sphere, the strip becomes flatter and flatter. Its area is no longer well approximated by that of cylinder of radius r cos θ and height dy.

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    thks. Looks like I was hoping the circles would sort themselves out. Now I think I need to start by approximating a slice of the sphere as a frustum. The lower limit ( no min element ) of frustum of height h is a circle, and an array of frustums can approximate a sphere.

5. Aug 31, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If I understand your attempt correctly, you're basically summing the surface area of open cylindrical elements with radius ##r\cos\theta## and an infinitesimal height.

Unfortunately, the element you used for the height is not correct. I suggest you use the arc length along the sphere given by ##\mathrm{d s} = r\mathrm{d \theta}## as a better approximation for the height of the cylindrical element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted