Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle x sphere = ?

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    circle x sphere = ???

Is the product space [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex] related (e.g. homeomorphic or homotopy equivalent) to a more familiar topological space? I am currently looking at maps from [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex] into other spaces, and I am having a really hard time visualizing what I am doing. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    Re: circle x sphere = ???

Since you can visualize [tex]S^1[/tex] and [tex]S^2[/tex] by themselves, you should be able to get good impression of the whole space. Or du you need to actually see it?

How about this: Consider [tex]S^2[/tex] as the unit sphere [tex]|x|=1[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. Then just make it thicker, and identify points on the outer edge with points on the inner edge (along the radius).

Torquil

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3

Well, I am looking at smooth maps [tex]f: S^1 \times S^2 \rightarrow S^2[/tex]. Then [tex]f^{-1}(z)[/tex] is a union of circles, which may or may not be linked. How exactly would I go about visualizing knots in [tex]S^1 \times S^2[/tex], and especially their relative position to each other?

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

Sorry, I don't have anything useful to say about that.

Torquil

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook