Does Distance from Center Affect Acceleration in a Spinning Disk?

In summary, the constant acceleration an object experiences while riding 5 feet from the center of a perfectly rigid disk spinning at a constant speed with a diameter of 10 miles is not the same as it would be if it were 5 miles from the center. This is due to the centripetal acceleration equation and intuition, as the acceleration is directly proportional to the distance from the center of rotation.
TheAntiRelative
If I take a perfectly rigid disk 10 miles in diameter and set it spinning at a constant speed. Is the constant acceleration an object experiences riding 5 feet from the center the same as it would be if it were 5 miles from the center? I know many other things would be different but I mean the acceleration alone.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this follows directly from the centripetal acceleration equation (as well as intuition).

No

a = -(2Pi/T)^2 *r (Wish I could learn Latex..)

The acceleration is directly proportional to the distance from the centre of rotation.

Ahhh... momentary insanity. Isn't it great? :rolleyes:

1. What is the relationship between circles and acceleration?

The relationship between circles and acceleration is that acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity as it moves along a circular path. This means that as an object moves in a circular path, its velocity is constantly changing and therefore has a non-zero acceleration.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to circles?

Centripetal acceleration is the specific type of acceleration that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

3. Can an object move in a circle without acceleration?

No, an object cannot move in a circle without acceleration. This is because in order to maintain a constant circular motion, the object must have a constantly changing velocity, meaning it has a non-zero acceleration.

4. How does the radius of a circle affect acceleration?

The radius of a circle has a direct effect on acceleration. A smaller radius means that the object must make a tighter turn, resulting in a greater centripetal acceleration. Conversely, a larger radius results in a gentler turn and a lower centripetal acceleration.

5. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of an object's acceleration that is parallel to its velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to its velocity. In circular motion, tangential acceleration is responsible for changes in speed, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for changes in direction.