Solve Circles & Chords: Find Equations to Satisfy Conditions

• Thread starter odolwa99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the equations of two circles need to be found given certain conditions. The initial approach, labeled as AAA, results in an incorrect solution, while the approach labeled as BBB correctly provides the equations of the two circles. The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of the radius in the equations and how it relates to the coordinates of the centre of the circle.
odolwa99
With this question, I have worked out the correct answers (see the section bordered by BBB), but my original approach was to go by the 1st attempt (bordered by AAA). In the 1st attempt, the h/ k equation results in a single centre, rather than the 2 required to form the 2 separate circle equations. Can anyone help me spot what I need to do to get AAA to work, or is BBB the only approach that will work here?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. A circle intersects a line at the points a(-3, 0) & b(5, -4). The lines midpoint, m, is (1, -2). The distance from the centre of the circle to m is [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Find the equations of the 2 circles that satisfy these conditions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]|ab|=\sqrt{(-3-5)^2+(0+4)^2}=\sqrt{80}[/itex]
1/2 length of chord = [itex]\sqrt{20}[/itex]
[itex]|ac|^2=\sqrt{5}^2+\sqrt{20}^2=25\rightarrow |ac|=5[/itex] radius

AAA
Slope of |ab|: [itex]\frac{-4-0}{5+3}=\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]
Slope of perpendicular line M = 2
M equation: [itex]y+2=2(x-1)\rightarrow 2x-y-4=0[/itex]
M contains the centre (h, k): 2h-k-4=0

For a 2nd equation containing h & k use (-3, 0):
[itex](h+3)^2+(k-0)^2=k^2\rightarrow h^2+6h+9=0\rightarrow (h+3)(h+3)=0\rightarrow h=-3[/itex]
For h = -3: [itex]2h-k-4=0\rightarrow k=2(-3)-4\rightarrow k=-10[/itex]
Thus circle centre is (-3, -10)
AAA

BBB
If radius = 5, then centre of circle containing (-3, 0) = (2, 0)
Equation: [itex](x-2)^2+(y-0)^2=25\rightarrow x^2+y^2-4x-21=0[/itex]

If radius = 5, then centre of circle containing (5, -4) = (0, -4)
Equation: [itex](x-0)^2+(y+4)^2=25\rightarrow x^2+y^2+8y-9=0[/itex]
BBB

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did this come from? (h+3)2+(k−0)2=k2

The example in the textbook makes use of the equation for a circle, (h-x)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2. They define the centre of the circle (h, k) and the radius = |k| = |ac|.
So, without (h, k), one of the 2 points of contact with the circle (I went with (-3, 0)) is subbed into the equation in order to try and determine what (h, k) is, using this and the earlier 2k -y -4 = 0 equation.

Is that what you were looking for? It's a bit tricky to lay things out clearly, for a question like this.

odolwa99 said:
With this question, I have worked out the correct answers (see the section bordered by BBB), but my original approach was to go by the 1st attempt (bordered by AAA). In the 1st attempt, the h/ k equation results in a single centre, rather than the 2 required to form the 2 separate circle equations. Can anyone help me spot what I need to do to get AAA to work, or is BBB the only approach that will work here?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. A circle intersects a line at the points a(-3, 0) & b(5, -4). The lines midpoint, m, is (1, -2). The distance from the centre of the circle to m is [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex]. Find the equations of the 2 circles that satisfy these conditions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

AAA

[itex](h+3)^2+(k-0)^2=k^2\rightarrow h^2+6h+9=0\rightarrow (h+3)(h+3)=0\rightarrow h=-3[/itex]
For h = -3: [itex]2h-k-4=0\rightarrow k=2(-3)-4\rightarrow k=-10[/itex]
Thus circle centre is (-3, -10)
AAA

BBB
If radius = 5, then centre of circle containing (-3, 0) = (2, 0)
Equation: [itex](x-2)^2+(y-0)^2=25\rightarrow x^2+y^2-4x-21=0[/itex]

If radius = 5, then centre of circle containing (5, -4) = (0, -4)
Equation: [itex](x-0)^2+(y+4)^2=25\rightarrow x^2+y^2+8y-9=0[/itex]
BBB
AAA is not correct.

In BBB:
Yes you have the correct equations for the circles, but you don't show how you arrived at them.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Where did this come from "the radius = |k| = |ac|". You have the equation of the circle correct but I don't see how radius is abs(k). Your BB to BBB makes sense but I don't get the part AAA to AAA.

I don't get it. Where did this come from "the radius = |k| = |ac|". You have the equation of the circle correct but I don't see how radius is abs(k). Your BB to BBB makes sense but I don't get the part AAA to AAA.

From the books example, |k| was shown as a separate line drawn to the x-axis, but equal to the radius length of |ac|. That particular example makes reference to the circle touching the x-axis, and I think the purpose of |k| was to connect a radial line to the axis and work it into the line equation. It's the only example I have to work from at the moment, so I most likely have taken this out of it's original context. I'll include the diagram I was referring to in an attachment.

AAA is not correct.

In BBB:
Yes you have the correct equations for the circles, but you don't show how you arrived at them.

I realize AAA is not arrived at correctly. It was my best guess/ attempt at the solution, based on the examples in the textbook. Can you please indicate what I need to do differently in order to arrive at BBB, algebraically. Thank you.

Attachments

• math (2).JPG
    math (2).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 491
odolwa99 said:

AAA

[itex](h+3)^2+(k-0)^2=k^2

You wrote up the square of distance from a to the centre of the circle. It is equal to the radius squared (25). Instead of k^2 you should write r^2=25 in the last equation.

ehild

Likes 1 person

1. How do you find the equation of a circle given certain conditions?

To find the equation of a circle, you need to know its center coordinates and radius. If you are given the center coordinates (h,k) and radius r, the equation of the circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.

2. What are the conditions that must be satisfied for a chord to be perpendicular to the radius of a circle?

A chord is perpendicular to the radius of a circle if it passes through the center of the circle. This means that the distance from the center of the circle to the chord is equal to the radius of the circle.

3. How do you find the equation of a chord that is tangent to a circle?

To find the equation of a chord that is tangent to a circle, you need to know the point of tangency and the slope of the chord. You can use the point-slope formula to find the equation, where the slope is the tangent of the circle at the point of tangency.

4. What is the relationship between the equations of a circle and its chords?

The equations of a circle and its chords are related in that any point on a chord will satisfy the equation of the circle. This means that if you plug in the coordinates of a point on the chord into the equation of the circle, the equation will be true.

5. How can you use the equations of circles and chords to solve real-life problems?

The equations of circles and chords can be used to solve real-life problems involving geometry, such as finding the distance between two points on a circle or determining the intersection points of two chords. They can also be applied in engineering and physics to calculate the position and movement of objects in circular motion.