Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle's degrees cannot are not comparative to all polygon's?

1. May 19, 2004 #1
    Ok, degrees measured in a circle are measured from the center, the inside. A square's, for example, is not measured from the center; if this were the case, all polygons would be 360 degrees. Polygons are measured from the points at which lines intersect, making the degrees given to a circle, and the degrees given to a square different. Polygons are given their degree labels at all sides facing the middle, not away.

Any other thoughts on this, other than my learning disabilities?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2004 #2
    Arrange 4 squares such that they all intersect at a single corner.

Draw a circle around said corner.

Voila, degrees in a square's angle.

4. May 20, 2004 #3
    Yes ofcourse and so does any other tesselation when combined, but doesnt it strike anyone that a circle is measured by the degress it puts away from its center?
  5. May 20, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What strikes me is that I don't understand that sentence in the slightest. How does something 'put' things anywhere, especially *its* degrees?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?