1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circluar motion, omega

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    circluar motion, "omega"

hi, I erased the default format by accident, but it's just a quick question:
    i and j are unit vectors, w= omega dtheta/dt ,
    theta= angle dependent on time

when we have i(-rwsin(theta)) and j(rwcos(theta)) as our velocity vector components,
    and we wish to find the acceleration

i(-rwsin(theta)) and j(rwcos(theta)) is differentiated to i(-rw^2cos(theta)) and
    j(-rw^2sin(theta))

the factor of omega remains constant because dtheta/dt will be the same everywhere since it is in uniform motion right? consistent speed?

thanks

edit: and if you did not have uniform circular motion, you would get

i(-r(a/r)wcos(theta)) and j(-rw(a/r)sin(theta)) as acceleration components:

using
    w = dtheta/dt = v/r
    d(v/r) / dt = 1/r(dv/dt) = a/r
    when differentiating
    -rwsin(theta), getting -r(a/r)wcos(theta) , remembering that theta is a function of time

thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: circluar motion, "omega"

You are correct for the uniform circular motion part. For non-uniform (but still circular) motion, ω is not constant so you will need dω/dt terms.

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3

thanks, dω/dt is d/dt(v/r) right? which is 1/r dv/dt, isn't that a/r?

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can say that, but I prefer to think of dω/dt as the angular acceleration alpha and leave it at that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook