1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit 1

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    hi everyone

i have a trouble to do this proplem, even i already read the comment hints ,can anyone please help me with this proplem, Thanks for reading

here is the question : http://www.viethost4u.com/toan/circuit.GIF

p/s: is the answer 1.2A ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you please post what you've tried, tinhnho?
  4. Sep 12, 2004 #3
    the problem is to analyze all equipotential points and join them... also if a resistor is connected between 2 equipotential points then that resistor can disconnected from the circuit for analysis..(because no current flows thru equipotent points)

the current from the battery, due to symmetry of the circuit divides itself equally into three parts to enter branch 1,2,3
    from the symmetry of the circuit connection we see that points 1,2,3 will have same potential and hence can be connected together.
    similarly points 4,5,6 also have same potential (but not equal to that of 1,2,3)
    therefore at this intermediate stage the equivalent circuit consists of 2 sets of 3 resistors connected in parallel..
    now all that left to do is to connect the remaining(6 resistors) resistors between these to points in parallel
    thus we have 2 sets of 3 resistors in parallel and 1 set of 6 resistors in parallel...
    the net resistance taking all resistors to be 1 ohm is 12
    source voltage is 1 V...therefore current is 1.2A

The simplified circuit looks like this…forgive me for the crude drawing…that’s the best I could make. http://www.viethost4u.com/toan/pic_c.GIF
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct. Good job, tinhnho!
  6. Sep 13, 2004 #5
    i think the current should be -1.2A for final answer right ?
  7. Sep 13, 2004 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

According to my logic, the answer for the question "how much current" is
    1.2 A. For the question about the sign, the answer is "-". But my logic might be different from your teacher's.

8. Sep 14, 2004 #7
    I think the answer is 1.2A~, but this valure should be negetive, according to the direction of the current. It's just my point.. :redface:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?