1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit analysis - Laplace

1. Apr 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is as shown in the first picture. Question1.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    It asks that initial condition current generators are used, what I believe models the circuit for t>0 is shown in the second picture with the switch open, and a current generator added. (I am not sure if this is correct.)

I then used KCL to write equations at node 1 and node 2.

Node 1:
    [tex]\frac{5}{s}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{2}{s}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{V_{1}}{1}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{V_{1}-V_{2}}{2s}[/tex]

Node 2:

These can then be rearraged to give

Which I then put into a matrix and solved for [tex]V_{1}[/tex] and [tex]V_{2}[/tex]

[tex]V_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3}{s}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{2}{1+\frac{1}{2s}}[/tex]
    which can be simplified to
    [tex]V_{1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3}{s}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{4}{s+2}[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\frac{-3}{2}}{1+\frac{1}{2s}}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{4}{s}[/tex]
    Which can be simplified to
    [tex]V_{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{4}{s}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{3}{s+2}[/tex]

Then convert these back to the time domain to give:
    and [tex]V_{2}[/tex](t)=4-3[tex]e^{-2t}[/tex]

Can anyone tell if there is a mistake here or not?
    I don't feel confident this is the correct answer. I think the 5 ohm resistor and 5A current should effect the circuit somehow but do not know how to encorporate it into my equations.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?