Solving Circuit Analysis Problems: Tips for Finding Current and Voltage Values

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculations for voltage drops and power dissipation in a circuit, with the resulting values for I1, I2, and I3 being 1A, 0.5A, and 0.5A respectively. The conversation also touched on the concept of energy being equal to power multiplied by time, and how a 60AH battery can deliver 60A for 1 hour or 1A for 60 hours. Finally, the conversation discussed the battery's capacity in relation to the circuit's consumption.
gl0ck
Hi there,
I have difficulties with the last 2 parts of the question - b) and c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I found the right values for I1, I2 , I3
I1 = 1A
I2 = I3 = 0.5A
Voltage drops V1 - V4 using E=I * R (16,16,8,8,16,8)
Powers - 16,4,8,4,8,8

Regards

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 352
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the right values for I1, I2 , I3
I1 = 1A
I2 = I3 = 0.5A

I agree.

Voltage drops V1 - V4 using E=I * R (16,16,8,8,16,8)
Powers - 16,4,8,4,8,8

V1 to V4 I made 16, 16, 16, 8 Volts Note V3 is across R5 not R3, V4 is across R6 not R4
P1 to P6 I made 16, 8, 4, 4, 8, 8 Watts Total = 48W.

Power from Battery = Vbat * Ibat = 48V x 1A = 48W eg same as dissipated in the R's.

b) Hint: remember that energy = power * time

c) Hint: A 60AH (AH =Amp Hour) battery can deliver 60A for one hour or pro rata.

Thanks for the reply!

I've just rewritten the values incorrectly..
For b) I found that for 30min it the value will be 1440 and for an hour 2880 but don't know how to end up with a good conclusion.
And still wondering for c) so these 60Ah will be enough for a little more than an hour?

b) You made a small mistake. Time has to be in seconds not mins.

The battery delivers 1A at 48V for 30min. The power is therefore 48W.

Energy(Joules) = Power(Watts) * Time(seconds)

= 48 * 30 * 60
= 86400 Joules.

c) If the battery has a capacity of 60AH it can in theory deliver 60A for 1 hour or 1A for 60 Hours (or any other product that equals 60). If the circuit only draws 1A the battery could power it for 60 hours.

Since in part b) the circut draws 1A for 0.5 hour it has consumed only 1 * 0.5 = 0.5AH. You can work out the percentage. It's less than 1%.

I understand that circuit analysis can be a challenging task, especially when it comes to finding current and voltage values. It is important to approach these problems systematically and with a clear understanding of the principles of circuit analysis.

In regards to the last two parts of the question, I would suggest using the Kirchhoff's laws to solve for the unknown values. Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage rises. This can help you determine the voltage values at different points in the circuit.

Similarly, Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction. This can help you solve for the unknown current values in the circuit.

It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with Ohm's law, which states that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the product of the current flowing through it and the resistance of the resistor.

In summary, my advice for solving circuit analysis problems is to approach them systematically, use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, and double check your calculations. With practice and a good understanding of these principles, you will be able to successfully solve circuit analysis problems.

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical models and laws to determine the voltage, current, and power at different points within a circuit.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to design and troubleshoot electrical circuits. By understanding how different components and elements in a circuit interact with each other, we can ensure that the circuit functions properly and safely.

3. What are the different methods of circuit analysis?

There are several methods of circuit analysis, including the nodal analysis method, the mesh analysis method, and the superposition method. Each method has its own advantages and is best suited for different types of circuits.

4. What are the most common components in a circuit analysis problem?

The most common components in a circuit analysis problem are resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components can be combined in different ways to create various types of circuits, such as series circuits, parallel circuits, and combination circuits.

5. How can I improve my circuit analysis skills?

To improve your circuit analysis skills, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic electrical concepts, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of circuit analysis problems and to seek guidance from experienced professionals or resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials.