1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Analysis Question.

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem statement is in the Attached Image...To find the Voltage "V"

2. Relevant equations

I tried aplying Thevenin theorem here...so Calculated Rth looking in to the circuit with Voltage shorted and current sources opened.

3. The attempt at a solution

by inspection i get Rth = infinity and and Isc = 2A ....hence Vth = infinity x 2A = infinity.

I do not get whether the answer or the approach is correct hence kindly help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It's an odd circuit, no doubt. The series-connected ideal 2A current source trumps all the rest of the component behaviors as far as what the load sees is concerned.

An ideal current source will produce any potential difference necessary to maintain its defined current. So the 5V voltage source and 2 Ω series resistance will be nullified (or rather, compensated for) by the current source demanding that the load accept 2A no matter what. The take-away message is: no matter what you put in series with an ideal current source, the whole lot still looks like the same ideal current source.

So, what must the potential V be in order that the load (no matter what load) pass 2A? I think you'll have to answer with an expression rather than a value.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. You cannot determine V from the problem. Perhaps the answer is "V is always indeterminable without knowing the voltage across the current source"

If Vc is the voltage across the current source then all of the following appear valid...

V Vc
    4 5
    5 4
    -1 +10
    -1000 +1009
    +909 -900

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted