What Are the Implications of Changing Component Values in a Tube Amp Circuit?

In summary, changing the value of the output tube cathode capacitor from 50uf to 250uf would increase the bass output, while also potentially changing the frequency response of the amplifier.
Planobilly
Hi Guys,

The schematic

WR8r9LT.png

What do you think the effect of changing the value of the output tube cathode capacitor from 50uf to 250uf would be?

Also the original schematic showed 500K pots and other newer schematics show 1M pots. What do you think the effect of that change would be?

Next, assuming a 330 VDC plate voltage and a 100 ohm cathode resistor can you show me the process to predict the likely current flow. What I don't clearly understand is all the parameters that would affect the amount of current that would flow through the tube. Obviously the current is affected by the primary of the output transformer. What tube parameters also have an effect on the current?

Thanks,

Billy

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Planobilly said:
What do you think the effect of changing the value of the output tube cathode capacitor from 50uf to 250uf would be?
It looks like a bypass capacitor, so I'd expect to hear more bass in the output.

Planobilly said:
Also the original schematic showed 500K pots and other newer schematics show 1M pots. What do you think the effect of that change would be?
Not much. You probably wouldn't notice the difference.

See if you can find a set of graphs of the characteristics for this pentode.

Thanks for the feed back. I assumed the RC circuit would change the frequency response...so the larger the cap value the more the high frequencies are attenuated I assume.

I have to run out for a bit. I will post a data sheet for the EL84 tubes when I get back.

Thanks for the education!

Cheers,

Billy

Planobilly said:
Thanks for the feed back. I assumed the RC circuit would change the frequency response...so the larger the cap value the more the high frequencies are attenuated I assume.
Just the opposite...

The schematics are a bit hard to read, but it seems to me that the cathode resistor is 125Ω. 125Ω and 50μF makes for a time constant of 6.25ms.This corresponds to a corner frequency of 160Hz. This is where you start to get a slight negative feedback in the cathode circuit.

Going to 250μF, the time constant increases to 18.75ms, giving a corner frequency of 53Hz. Whether this has any effect is doubtful (now the frequency response of the output transformer starts to dominate).

In short - use a 250μF. I strongly doubt that it will have any effect on the amplifier.
Planobilly said:
If it is a volume pot, I doubt that it will have any effect.

Hi Svein,

Yes, I had that (freq change) reversed in my mind. The cathode on this schematic is 125 ohm. The original 1958 Marshall schematic had a 50uf cap and a100 ohm resistor. I repaired a 18 watt reissue Marshall the other day and had to increase the 100 ohm resistor value to get the bias under control. I have a 18 watt Marshall kit clone I am building ATM. I also have an order for two other new builds, both 18 watt Marshalls. I am not having many issues building new amps or repairing amps. I understand the "how to do it" part...I just am not to the point I understand the "why it works this way" part.

I basically understand everything you said, I just don't yet know how to do the math and certainly don't have an idea of how the time constant relates to the change in sound.
I have been relegated to changing out components to hear the difference. There is nothing wrong with that but I want to get a little smarter. Circuits like the above should be dead simple...well, more or less. I am to the point I want to understand things at a much deeper level.

Can you show me or point me to a link that will describe in detail, how based on 50uf an 125 ohms you arrive at 6.24ms and how to convert that to 160 Hz?

Here is a data sheet for the JJ EL84 tubes I use that NascentOxygen ask for. http://www.drtube.com/datasheets/el84-jj2003.pdf

Cheers,

Billy

nsaspook said:
The frequency is just 1/RC
don't forget the 2pi

Likes nsaspook
Where does the 2pi come in? I thought the time constant was just as stated, 1/RC.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have been really busy building new amps..three this week. Two 18 watt Marshalls and a Fender Bassman.

Not so much time to study but little by little I am getting there. So..thanks to everyone for all the kind help.

Cheers,

Billy

1. What is a circuit analysis question?

A circuit analysis question is a type of question that requires the use of principles and techniques from circuit analysis to solve. These questions typically involve analyzing electrical networks and solving for unknown values such as voltage, current, and resistance.

2. What are the key steps in solving a circuit analysis question?

The key steps in solving a circuit analysis question are:

• Identifying the type of circuit (series, parallel, or combination)
  • Applying Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to determine the relationships between voltage, current, and resistance
  • Creating a circuit diagram and labeling known and unknown values
  • Solving for the unknown values using algebraic equations and substitution
  • Checking the solution for accuracy and consistency

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit analysis question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit analysis question include:

• Incorrectly labeling values on the circuit diagram
  • Misapplying Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Laws
  • Forgetting to account for the direction of current and voltage in the circuit
  • Using the wrong units or not converting units properly
  • Not double-checking calculations for accuracy

4. How can circuit analysis questions be applied in real-world situations?

Circuit analysis questions can be applied in various real-world situations, including:

• Designing and analyzing circuits for electronic devices and systems
  • Troubleshooting and repairing electrical circuits and networks
  • Calculating power and energy usage in electrical systems
  • Designing and optimizing electrical networks for efficiency and safety
  • Understanding the behavior of complex circuits in industrial and commercial settings

5. What resources are available for further learning and practice of circuit analysis?

There are many resources available for further learning and practice of circuit analysis, including:

• Textbooks and online courses on circuit analysis principles and techniques
  • Simulation software to model and analyze circuits
  • Practice problems and exercises with solutions
  • Online forums and communities for asking questions and discussing circuit analysis concepts
  • Lab exercises and experiments to apply circuit analysis in a hands-on setting