How can circuit analysis questions be simplified and solved using KCL and KVL?

In summary, the two students are trying to solve a problem that has multiple equations and no clear instructions on how to begin. The first student is unsure about the solution to question one and the second student is struggling with question two.
tim51

Homework Statement

Hey, attached is a word document with the three problems. The third problem gave me no grief but the first two I'm unsure about.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1:

let I1 = current flowing through 20kohm resistor
let I2 = current flowing through 6kohm resistor

by KCL:

I1 + I2 = 40,

From here I'm not sure what to do, can I simplify the circuit perhaps? Also the current source confuses me, doesn't KVL say that the voltage generated will equal the voltage dissipated? if there is no voltage generated how can there be a voltage drop?

Question 2:

I honestly have no idea what to do here it all looks like a big jumble.

Attachments

• Q.doc
    69 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a voltage generated, but it doesn't state it since it's not at all necessary to solve the problem.

To go about Q1, you've stated the correct equation (V=IR), now use that + some knowledge about resistors in series/parallel and voltage drop in series/parallel

If V is the voltage at the junction of the 5 K, 20 K and 6 K resistors, can you write a formula to find I1 and I2 in terms of V?

Q1, 6k and 4k resister are in series = 10k resister
the current through the 5k is 40amps then it splits between the new 10k and 20k resister (current divider)

I(through the 20K) = 40 (10/10+20) = 40(1/3) = 13.33 amps

To person above; are you sure about that? 'Cause that's not the current I get.. and I can't quite understand what you'e done either.

for Q1:
the right side of the circuit had a 6k and 4k resister in series, these 2 resistors can be replaced with a 10k resister (eqiv resistance between 2 resisters in series is the sum)

so the circuit is a 40 a current source then a 5k resister then has 10k and 20k resistors in parallel

the current through resisters in series is the same so think there is 40amps going into the node after the 5k resister (doesn't affect the current through the 20k b/c is in series with it)

that means 40amps is going to go either through the 10k resister or 20k resister = current divider

wikipedia does a decent explanation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_divider

so I(through 20k) = 40 amps ( 10k/ (10K + 20k)) = 13.33 amps

hope this does a better job, if you still don't understand tell me exactly what part and I'll try to do a better job. What were you doing to get a different answer, and if you did get a different answer what do you see wrong with what I do.

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of understanding and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits by using mathematical equations and laws of physics.

What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit are a voltage source, such as a battery, a load, such as a light bulb, and conducting wires to connect them.

What is Kirchhoff's voltage law?

Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of individual resistances. So, to calculate the total resistance, you add all the resistances together.