Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit analysis with diodes

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    How do I do basic circuit analysis of circuits that have diodes in them? For example, if I have a basic circuit consisting of just a voltage source, a resistor, and a silicon diode, how would I calculate the current in the circuit?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For basic analysis (and assuming a silicon diode), assume a constant 0.6-0.7 V voltage drop at the diode.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Here's a recent Homework Help thread discussing analyzing a circuit with diodes in it. The thread starts off assuming "ideal" diodes with Vf = 0V, but does address real diodes later with Vf = 0.6 to 0.7V, etc.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=289232

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4
    Ah, thanks for that link! What happens if there's no resistor in the circuit and it's just a diode hooked up to a voltage source?

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google "diode equation"

7. Feb 16, 2009 #6
    I found the diode equation, but I think it's overkill for my needs. Mapes, and the link berekman posted, helped a lot for my purposes. The only thing I don't get now though, is what happens when the diode is hooked up with no resistor. Is the current 0, or is it infinite? I'm inclined to say that it would be "infinite", but is that right?

8. Feb 16, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the diode equation is overkill, then the simple answer is:

The current is 0 when V is below the diode-drop voltage (about 0.7V).
    The current is infinite when V is above the diode-drop voltage.

9. Feb 17, 2009 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For a real diode, you will probably burn it up. Look at the plot of the diode equation -- the current increases quickly for voltages above the forward threshold voltage. And since power P = V * I, the power dissipated increases quickly as well. Real diodes have limits on how much power they can handle...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook