Circuit Analysis Problem #5 - Guidance Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an inductor and a capacitor in a circuit. It is a second order differential equation with a nonhomogeneous term. The solution involves finding the particular solution using the steady state and using initial conditions to determine the integration constants.
brad sue

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have problem doing this problem:
It is the problem #5 on the attachment.( I was not able to remove problem#4)

Please can you give me some guidance?

Thank you
B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for t>0( steady state) the inductor is like a short and the capacitor like an open circuit.

Do I need to replace the inductor by a short and cancel the part with the capacitor and then do a KVL and solve for V(t)?

I was wondering if I need to use the initial value (just before the switch closes).

Thank you
B.

Attachments

• electronics-1.doc
    46 KB · Views: 251
Physics news on Phys.org
brad sue said:

Homework Statement

Hi,
I have problem doing this problem:
It is the problem #5 on the attachment.( I was not able to remove problem#4)

Please can you give me some guidance?

Thank you
B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for t>0( steady state) the inductor is like a short and the capacitor like an open circuit.

Do I need to replace the inductor by a short and cancel the part with the capacitor and then do a KVL and solve for V(t)?

I was wondering if I need to use the initial value (just before the switch closes).

Thank you
B.

Steady state is not for t>0, is for t equal infinity. For 0 < t < infinity you have the transient. That is what the problem asks for.
For t > 0 you must use the properties of the inductor and the capacitor: [tex]v_L = L\frac{di_L}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]i_C = C\frac{dv_C}{dt}[/tex]. Use Kirchoffs laws to form a second order differential equation, involving either [tex]i_L[/tex] or [tex]v_C[/tex].
Since you have a nonhomogeneous equation, the general solution is the sum of the solution of the homogeneos equation and one particular solution.
The particular solution can be obtained using the steady state, when the inductor is a short circuit and the capacitor an open circuit.
The general solution involves two integration constants. In order to obtain their values, you use the initial conditions.

Hi B,

Thank you for reaching out for guidance on this circuit analysis problem. Based on the information provided, it seems like you have a good understanding of the behavior of the inductor and capacitor in steady state. Yes, you are correct in thinking that you can replace the inductor with a short and the capacitor with an open circuit, and then use KVL to solve for V(t).

As for the initial value, it depends on the specific problem and what information is given. If the initial value is given, then it should be taken into consideration when solving for V(t). If the initial value is not given, then you can assume it to be zero or use a general expression for the initial value.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you need further assistance, please provide more specific information about the circuit and the problem. Good luck!

1. How do I approach a circuit analysis problem?

The first step in approaching a circuit analysis problem is to clearly define the problem and what is being asked. Then, you can use techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and solve for unknown values.

2. What is the purpose of circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is used to determine the behavior and characteristics of an electrical circuit. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as understanding how different components interact with each other.

3. What are some common challenges in circuit analysis?

Some common challenges in circuit analysis include dealing with non-linear components, complex circuits with multiple loops and branches, and finding the most efficient method of solving the problem.

4. How do I know which analysis technique to use?

The analysis technique to use will depend on the type of circuit and the information given in the problem. For example, for circuits with only resistors, Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws can be used. For circuits with capacitors and inductors, techniques such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis may be more appropriate.

5. What are some tips for solving circuit analysis problems more efficiently?

Some tips for solving circuit analysis problems more efficiently include breaking the circuit into smaller parts, using simplification techniques such as series and parallel combinations, and double-checking your calculations to avoid errors. It can also be helpful to draw the circuit and label known values before beginning the analysis.