Circuit analysis - Finding the currents

In summary: If you were looking at the image and trying to solve for I_2, you would use the same approach as you did for I_1. You would start by finding the potential around the loop and then use the laws of physics to solve for the current.
hadoque

Homework Statement

Find the three currents in the image.

Homework Equations

Khirkoffs laws
Sum of currents equal zero.
The potentials around a closed loop add up to zero.
The equations given in the solution are
[tex]-2I_1 + 12I_2+6=0[/tex]
[tex]-12I_2+8 = 0[/tex]
[tex]I_1+I_2+I_3=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve this I had the first equation to be
[tex]-2I_1-12I_2+6=0[/tex], by doing a potential walk round the left subcircuit (?).
Why should the second term be positive?

Attachments

• circuit.gif
    circuit.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
hadoque said:

Homework Statement

Find the three currents in the image.

Homework Equations

Khirkoffs laws
Sum of currents equal zero.
The potentials around a closed loop add up to zero.
The equations given in the solution are
[tex]-2I_1 + 12I_2+6=0[/tex]
[tex]-12I_2+8 = 0[/tex]
[tex]I_1+I_2+I_3=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve this I had the first equation to be
[tex]-2I_1-12I_2+6=0[/tex], by doing a potential walk round the left subcircuit (?).
Why should the second term be positive?

By convention, when you have the current going down through a component, the top of the component will be + and the bottom will be -. Since you are going around the loop on the left against the direction labelled for I1, it is a negative voltage term. Since you are continuing around that clockwise loop on the left and go through the middle resistor in the same direction as the current arrow shown, it is a + voltage drop.

Ok, but how do I know the current is going down in I_2, besides the arrow? If the problem didn't give the currents directions, I should still be able to solve it! Is it that the right battery has a higher voltage? If so, what if the problem didn't give the battery voltage in numerics, but instead gave, say, the voltage v_1 and v_2. Then I wouldn't know which one has the higher voltage...

Ok, sorry. i just realized I was thinking wrong about the circuit, there is only one option for the direction of I_2.

Thanks

What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of determining the currents, voltages, and resistance values in an electrical circuit using mathematical techniques and laws.

Why is it important to find the currents in a circuit?

Finding the currents in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand how electricity is flowing through the circuit and determine if the circuit is functioning properly. It also helps in identifying any potential issues or malfunctions in the circuit.

What are the techniques used to find currents in a circuit?

There are various techniques used to find currents in a circuit such as Kirchhoff's Current Law, Ohm's Law, and the Superposition Theorem. These techniques involve using mathematical equations and circuit analysis tools to determine the currents in different parts of the circuit.

What are the units of current?

The unit of current is Ampere (A), which is equivalent to one Coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second. It is represented by the symbol "I" in equations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding currents in a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding currents in a circuit include not properly labeling the circuit, not considering the direction of current flow, and not using the correct equations or techniques for the given circuit. It is also important to double check calculations and be aware of any potential errors or assumptions made during the analysis.