1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit analysis

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Problem and my attempt at the solution are in the figure below (red is my work):

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/364603/elec.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

You can convert the parallel combination of current and resistance to a series combination of voltage and resistance. Equivalent voltage IR.

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    Yes, I get 300 V and 50 ohm on the right then (if I remember correctly to do that) and this gives me 3A running. But, can you spot any mistake in my equation.

It works good if I use -6, that gives V = 150 V or if I use other methods but I remember making this same mistake a year ago. I think I am missing something fundamental. I don't want to repeat it when solving complex circuits.

5. Apr 18, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In circuit analysis we can use different methods. Usually source conversion and mesh analysis is easy to do. I have solved by source conversion.
    In mesh analysis, assign one current to each mesh and apply Kirchhoff law to find the current in each mash.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook