Solve Circuit Analysis Homework: KVL, KCL, Ohm's Law

In summary, the book has a mis-print where i1 is supposed to be -2A instead of 1A. I am concerned that there is more than 20 volts across those two resistors in the circuit, which would explain why the calculations in the book give different results than what I found in simulation.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7384/1037s.png

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL, Ohm's law, voltage divider

The Attempt at a Solution

The equivlent resistance of the circuit is 25ohms. Therefore the current flowing through i2 is 20volts/25ohms = 0.8A

using KCL at the top node, 3A + i1 = .8, therefore i1 =-2.2A

The answers at the back of the book however say that i1 should be -2A, and i1 should be 1A.

Where did i go wrong, or does the book have a mis-print?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
your answer makes sense to me...

My concern is that, there is more than 20 volts across those two resistors.

I'm very unfamiliar with how current sources work, but maybe at the top node the current source adds to the voltage of the voltage source (somehow), for a total of 25V. Although, again i have no idea.

Learnphysics said:
My concern is that, there is more than 20 volts across those two resistors.

Okay. I will tell you. That makes no sense. If you put a volt meter across those two resistors in the lab, what value do you think you would get? 20V.

Even if you put the volt meter across the current source, guess what you would get? 20V.

Elements in parallel with a voltage source have the same potential as the sum of the voltage source(s).

Try doing a source transformation with the voltage source and the resistors and see what you get...

The beautiful part about electrical engineering (circuit analysis, in this case) is that there are many ways to skin a cat (but usually only one best way).

I concur with i1 = 0.8A and i2 = -2.2 A.

Simulated in PSPICE and it also gets 0.8 A and -2.2 A.

staticd said:
Okay. I will tell you. That makes no sense. If you put a volt meter across those two resistors in the lab, what value do you think you would get? 20V.

Even if you put the volt meter across the current source, guess what you would get? 20V.

Elements in parallel with a voltage source have the same potential as the sum of the voltage source(s).

Try doing a source transformation with the voltage source and the resistors and see what you get...

The beautiful part about electrical engineering (circuit analysis, in this case) is that there are many ways to skin a cat (but usually only one best way).

Hmm, i read somewhere that the current source will 'change' the voltage across it's terminals in order to ENSURE that 3A goes through it. eg. it forces 3A through it.

It's put into a circuit with a 25 ohm resistance. Therefore the current source SHOULD have V=ir, 25*3 = 75V at it's terminals right?

as it's in parralell with the 20v, as you said we'd SUM the 75 and 20, to get 95.

I'v simulated it in spice and i got -2.2A and .8A... but i still don't understand why the above theory is wrong. What am i missing.

That would be true if the 20V supply was not there. But being an ideal voltage source, it will sink or source current in order to keep the node at 20V.

Tweedle_Dee said:
That would be true if the 20V supply was not there. But being an ideal voltage source, it will sink or source current in order to keep the node at 20V.

sorry, what did you mean by sink or source the current? and which node will be kept at 20?

Learnphysics said:
sorry, what did you mean by sink or source the current? and which node will be kept at 20?

Sink current means current going into the voltage source. Source current means current going out of the voltage source. The node I am talking about is the point where the voltage source and current source meet. A current source will force 3A and put no constraints on the voltage. Likewise, the voltage source will force 20V but put no constraints on the current. So, with this knowledge, you know for certain that 3A is coming out of the current source and 20V is across the voltage source. Now you just calculate the currents using KCL.

Tweedle_Dee said:
Sink current means current going into the voltage source. Source current means current going out of the voltage source. The node I am talking about is the point where the voltage source and current source meet. A current source will force 3A and put no constraints on the voltage. Likewise, the voltage source will force 20V but put no constraints on the current. So, with this knowledge, you know for certain that 3A is coming out of the current source and 20V is across the voltage source. Now you just calculate the currents using KCL.

Ah, vey helpful.

Thanks!

1. What is KVL and how does it apply to circuit analysis?

KVL, or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of all voltage sources in that same loop. This law is used to analyze circuits by setting up equations based on the voltage drops and sources in a closed loop.

2. What is KCL and how is it used in circuit analysis?

KCL, or Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering a node (or point) in a circuit must equal the sum of all currents leaving that same node. This law is used to analyze circuits by setting up equations based on the currents entering and leaving a node.

3. How does Ohm's Law relate to circuit analysis?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it, with the constant of proportionality being the resistance. This law is used in circuit analysis to calculate the voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit when two of these values are known.

4. How do I apply KVL, KCL, and Ohm's Law to solve circuit analysis problems?

To solve circuit analysis problems, you will need to set up equations based on KVL and KCL for each closed loop and node in the circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law to solve for any unknown values in the equations. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of all variables in the circuit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using KVL, KCL, and Ohm's Law in circuit analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using KVL, KCL, and Ohm's Law in circuit analysis include not considering the direction of currents and voltage drops, not properly labeling and keeping track of variables, and not using the correct units for voltage, current, and resistance. It is also important to double check your calculations and ensure that your results make sense in the context of the circuit.