1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Analysis

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Image: http://puu.sh/1ejYb [Broken]
    http://puu.sh/1ejYb [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Req of n resistors in series = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn
    Req of n resistors in parallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is supposed to be 10 ohms. However, I don't know how they got that.

What I was thinking that some of the resistors short circuit and the current does not pass through them. So, it would be like: 3 ohms, then 6 ohms and finally 5 ohms. However, that adds up to 14 ohms and also I'm very sure that's wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    It is clear that the 12 ohm resistor short circuit. Now try to see whether the 6 ohm resistor on the right in the upper line and the 6 ohm resistor in the bottom line are in series or parallel.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

The 6Ω resistor in the right at top can be ruled out i think.. bcuz even that is shorted by a wire from the junction of 5Ω and 6Ω resistors at the bottom.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PhysicoRaj - I don't think that's correct.

After removing the 12 Ohm..

The 6 Ohm at the top right is in parallel with the 6 Ohm at the bottom. So delete the 6 Ohm at top right and change the 6 Ohm at the bottom to 3 Ohm.

Then the new 3 Ohm just created is in parallel with the remaining 6 Ohm making 2 Ohms.

At this point you have 3, 2 and 5 in series.

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is a creative problem. Under examination pressures, where it is often difficult to get ones thoughts clear, there may not be a high score rate on this question.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    12Ω resistor is short cirrcuit. three 6Ω are parallel.
    So, equivalent resistor of circuit is 3+6/3+5=10Ω

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook