Circuit Analysis: Problem 4 - Obtain Current Through Galvanometer

In summary, the student is attempting to find the current through a galvanometer in a Wheatstone bridge using a Δ-Y transformation. However, it is not clear if this method is correct and further clarification or verification is needed.
cooper607

Homework Statement

problem---4
(5 marks) Obtain the current through the Galvanometer G, having a resistance of 14Ω, in
the Wheatstone bridge shown in Fig-4

Homework Equations

i know the delta-Y transformation and applied it, i found out the R (eq) to be 32.4675ohm

The Attempt at a Solution

I=V/R= 0.4927 A
someone please check the answer of problem no 4 and let me know if its right or wrong
regards

Attachments

• assignment306(2).pdf
    38.7 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
cooper607 said:

Homework Statement

problem---4
(5 marks) Obtain the current through the Galvanometer G, having a resistance of 14Ω, in
the Wheatstone bridge shown in Fig-4

Homework Equations

i know the delta-Y transformation and applied it, i found out the R (eq) to be 32.4675ohm

The Attempt at a Solution

I=V/R= 0.4927 A
someone please check the answer of problem no 4 and let me know if its right or wrong
regards

Doesn't look right to me.

If you apply a Δ-Y transformation, won't you transform-away the very resistor you wish to find the current through?

1. How do you calculate the current through a galvanometer in a circuit?

In order to calculate the current through a galvanometer, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Therefore, the formula for calculating current (I) through a galvanometer is I = V/R.

2. What is a galvanometer and how does it work?

A galvanometer is an instrument used for detecting and measuring small electric currents. It works by using a coil of wire suspended between the poles of a permanent magnet. When an electric current passes through the coil, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field of the permanent magnet and the magnetic field created by the current in the coil. This force causes the coil to rotate and the deflection of the coil can be used to measure the current.

3. What is the purpose of using a galvanometer in circuit analysis?

A galvanometer is used in circuit analysis to measure small currents that would be difficult to measure with other instruments. It is also used to detect the direction and magnitude of a current flowing in a circuit, which can be helpful in troubleshooting and analyzing complex circuits.

4. How is the current through a galvanometer affected by the resistance in the circuit?

The current through a galvanometer is inversely proportional to the resistance in the circuit. This means that as the resistance increases, the current through the galvanometer decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance in the circuit results in a larger voltage drop, which reduces the current flowing through the galvanometer.

5. Are there any limitations to using a galvanometer in circuit analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a galvanometer in circuit analysis. Galvanometers have a limited range and are only able to measure small currents. They also have a high internal resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, galvanometers can only measure DC (direct current) and not AC (alternating current) currents.