Solve Circuit Analysis: Thevenin Theorem

In summary, we used the Thevenin theorem to calculate the total resistance of the circuit. We then used this value to find the total current, which was 0.006A. From there, we found the voltage drop across the 20k resistor (120V) and the current through the 60k+180k branch (0.0015A). Finally, we found the remaining current (0.0045A) and the voltage across the 60k resistor (90V) to determine the voltage at node 0 (270V). This is due to the fact that the voltage across the 80k resistor (also connected to node 0) is equal to the total voltage
Gbox

Homework Statement

fG2YMYN.jpg

Homework Equations

Thevenin theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

##R_{60+180}=240##
##R_{80||240}=\frac{240*80}{240+80}=60##
##R_{total}=60+20=80##
##=\frac{480}{80000}=0.006A##
How should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are a factor of 10 off, otherwise what you have done is OK to find i. Your next step is to find v0. How much current is flowing through the 180 KOhm resistor?

Likes Gbox
phyzguy said:
I think you are a factor of 10 off, otherwise what you have done is OK to find i. Your next step is to find v0. How much current is flowing through the 180 KOhm resistor?
Sorry, fixed the current.

I know that the current need to split twice before it will get to ##R_{180}##

It only splits once. How much of the total current i goes through the 80 KOhm resistor, and how much through the 60 KOhm + 180 KOhm series combination?

Likes Gbox
phyzguy said:
It only splits once. How much of the total current i goes through the 80 KOhm resistor, and how much through the 60 KOhm + 180 KOhm series combination?
##R_{80}## gets 0.0045A so ##R_{60+180}## gets 0.0015A therefore it is 360V?

The 0.0015A is right. Given this, what is v0?

Likes Gbox
phyzguy said:
The 0.0015A is right. Given this, what is v0?
##V_{60}=0.0015*60000=90## so ##V_0=480-90-120=270v##?
why could I say that because ###v_0## or ##R_{80}## is connected in parallel to the battery, it has the same Voltage?

Yes, v0 = 270V is correct. This is not the same as the voltage across the 80 KOhm resistor, because some voltage is dropped across the 60 KOhm resistor (90V, as you calculated).

Likes Gbox
Since both currents unite at the 20k resistor, then u got 240k.80k/320k + 20k= 80000ohms V/Rtotal= 0.006amps net current. From there on u get that 120volts fall at the 20k resistior, and the current through the 60k+180k branch is 0.0015amps. From there the rest current sjould be 0.0045amps

Grim Arrow said:
Since both currents unite at the 20k resistor, then u got 240k.80k/320k + 20k= 80000ohms V/Rtotal= 0.006amps net current. From there on u get that 120volts fall at the 20k resistior, and the current through the 60k+180k branch is 0.0015amps. From there the rest current sjould be 0.0045amps
Isnt that right mates?

Likes Gbox
Yes, thanks

1. What is the Thevenin Theorem?

The Thevenin Theorem is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis that states that any linear circuit consisting of voltage and current sources and resistors can be replaced by a single voltage source in series with a single resistor.

2. How is the Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you must first remove the load resistor from the original circuit. Then, calculate the open-circuit voltage by finding the voltage across the load resistor using a test voltage source. Next, calculate the equivalent resistance by finding the resistance seen by the test voltage source. Finally, the Thevenin equivalent circuit is the calculated open-circuit voltage in series with the calculated equivalent resistance.

3. What are the advantages of using the Thevenin Theorem?

The Thevenin Theorem simplifies circuit analysis by reducing a complex circuit to a single voltage source and resistor. This makes it easier to calculate the voltage and current at any point in the circuit. It also allows for easier circuit troubleshooting and design.

4. When is the Thevenin Theorem most useful?

The Thevenin Theorem is most useful when analyzing circuits with multiple components, especially those with many resistors in series or parallel. It is also helpful when designing circuits, as it allows for easier calculation of component values.

5. How is the Thevenin Theorem applied in real-life circuits?

The Thevenin Theorem is used extensively in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, including power supplies, amplifiers, and communication systems. It is also used in troubleshooting circuits and determining the maximum power transfer between components.