What are the costs and options for producing a circuit board design?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process and costs involved in going from prototype board to production for a circuit board design. Software is available for designing the board, and some board houses offer low quantity services for around $120 plus the cost of individual components. There are also services available for soldering components onto the board. Free software options for designing the board are also mentioned.
JerryG
I know this is a very general question, but any info is appreciated. I wanted to know what is involved in going from prototype board to production. What costs are involved in getting a company to produce your circuit board design? Anyone familiar with approximate costs, min quantities, anything?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is software available for download (free) that allows you to design the board. Some board houses have low quantity services. You can do a 3 x 4 inch bare board depending on complexity for around $120 plus your labor in board design. Of course you need to add in the cost of individual components.

You can get batchpcb.com to manufacture your board for something like $2.50 per sq. inch + $10 setup fee. I just used them to make a board of mine that is like 3x4 inches and it cost me $70 for 2 copies.

Are there any services that solder the components on as well?

JerryG said:
Are there any services that solder the components on as well?

Sure. Now you are talking about contract manufacturers. Once again, more money.

goldphoenixpcb.biz and 4pcb.com do assembly and PCB manufacturing in large quantities.

Averagesupernova said:
There is software available for download (free) that allows you to design the board. Some board houses have low quantity services. You can do a 3 x 4 inch bare board depending on complexity for around $120 plus your labor in board design. Of course you need to add in the cost of individual components.

Averagesupernova doesn't mention it, but this software is Eagle PCB by Cadsoft:
http://www.cadsoft.de/

There's also a few free ones available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Free_EDA_software

The best of that bunch (which my friend uses) is probably KiCad:
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/

What is a circuit board?

A circuit board is a thin, flat board made from insulating material, such as fiberglass, with thin metal tracks etched onto its surface. It is used to hold and connect electronic components together, allowing them to function as a complete circuit.

What is the process for producing a circuit board?

The process for producing a circuit board involves several steps, including designing the layout, printing the circuit onto a copper-clad board, etching away the unwanted copper, drilling holes for components, and finally, soldering the components onto the board.

What materials are used in circuit board production?

The main materials used in circuit board production are fiberglass, copper, and solder. Other materials, such as epoxy resin, ink, and varnish, are also used for various stages of the production process.

How long does it take to produce a circuit board?

The time it takes to produce a circuit board can vary depending on the size and complexity of the board, as well as the production method used. On average, it can take anywhere from a few hours to several days to produce a circuit board.

What are some common methods used for circuit board production?

Some common methods used for circuit board production include the traditional etching method, where the circuit is printed onto a copper-clad board and then etched away, and the newer method of using a CNC machine to mill the circuit directly onto the board. Other methods include screen printing and inkjet printing.