1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit design help

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Hi!
    This is my first time posting here at PF, so forgive me if i am going against any rules.

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I haven been given a problem to design a circuit that takes an input ranging from 0 to 5V, and outputs:
    20V (DC) if the input is between 1 and 4V
    and
    nothing for 0 or 5V.

The attempt at a solution

From what i have learned from class/research, a Shmidt trigger would be a good approach.
    i designed one that "kind of" works, but doesnt do what i had intended. it does output a 20V DC signal if the input is between 1 and 4V, but if i go above 4V, i still get a moderately large output (~12V).
    below is my circuit and an explanation for my resistor values.

[​IMG]

from what i understand, with a Shmidt trigger,
    Voutput = +V
    until
    V1 > +V*R2/(R1+R2)

once greater, Voutput would drop to -V.

i have set the positive and negative supply voltages on my comparator to be 20V and 1mV respectively.
    thus, i was expecting Voutput to go to ~1mV when Vin > 4V.

any insight/hints would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see 1 problem, and possibly 2, with this design.

Yes, the output will become ~1 mV when V1 rises above 4 volts. But, at that point, the equation for the reference voltage (+ input of op-amp) will be

Vref = (1 mV)*R2/(R1+R2)

What is that new reference value then (hint: it is not 4V anymore).

You'll need to design things so that the Vref is fixed, not tied to the Vout which can change.

Another possible issue is that on most op-amps, Vout does not go all the way down to V--, or all the way up to V++. But if this is a class assignment, you can probably assume ideal behavior and not worry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?