Designing Circuit Boards: Software Packages for Beginners

In summary, a forum user new to electronics and with a background in Mechanical Engineering is seeking advice on software packages for designing and building circuit boards. The recommended software is MultiSim or SPICE, with some open source options available. It is noted that there is no program that can design circuits for you and that design is primarily based on experience and imagination. The user is also directed to various websites and resources for beginner projects and schematics. Other users suggest using pencil and paper, as well as investing in a breadboard and introductory electronics book.
Jones1987
Hi,

New to the forum, I'm currently studying Mechanical Engineering, however me and my flatmate really want to start designing and building circuit boards. I have minimal knowledge when it comes to electronics so there's no time like the present to start learning!

What kind of software packages are out there which are used to 'design' the actual circuits to be made?

Any help upon this topic will be really appreciated and helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Grab a trial version of MultiSim. It's the easiest one out of the lot. The industry standard is SPICE, and I think that you can grab a student version of http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/ for free. There are some opensource implementations floating around too.

There is probably no computer program that is going to design circuits for you, although for certain applications, there are design tools that make it easier.
Generally, design is a matter of experience and imagination with some solid theoretical ability.

You might like to have a look through the following sites (taken from the "sticky" threads above). There are hundreds of circuits here and you might find something that you could use or amuse yourself with.

Beginner projects, tutorials, schematics: http://www.hobbyprojects.com/

Various schematics: http://www.electronics-lab.com/index.html

More simple schematics: http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/gadgets.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys, really appreciate the help. Absolute beginner in this area, so I shall look into the info you have posted and let you guys know how I get on! <Thumbs Up>

I always like pencil and paper and eraser.

-old guy

For what you'll be doing in the short term, the best investment you can probably make is a breadboard, pencil and paper, and the address of your local electronics hobby supply shop. I don't think you have Radio Shack over in the UK, but doubtlessly, you'll be able to find an introductory electronics or hobbyist electronics type book to get you on your way, and familiarize you with some of the basic concepts. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What types of software packages are available for designing circuit boards?

There are several software packages available for designing circuit boards, including Eagle, Altium Designer, KiCad, and OrCAD. Each package has its own unique features, so it's important to research and choose the one that best fits your needs.

2. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use these software packages?

No, you do not need programming knowledge to use software packages for designing circuit boards. However, having some basic understanding of programming languages such as C or Python can be beneficial in creating more complex designs.

3. Are these software packages user-friendly for beginners?

Yes, most software packages for designing circuit boards have user-friendly interfaces and provide tutorials and guides for beginners. Some even offer free versions for personal or educational use, making it easier for beginners to get started.

4. Can I simulate my circuit design before manufacturing it?

Yes, most software packages offer simulation features that allow you to test and analyze your circuit design before actually manufacturing it. This can save time and money by identifying potential issues or flaws in the design beforehand.

5. Are there any open-source software packages available for designing circuit boards?

Yes, KiCad is an open-source software package for designing circuit boards that is free to use and has a strong community support. It offers a wide range of features and is constantly updated and improved by its users.