Determining Part Number for NPN Transistors

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the part number for 4 NPN transistors and suggests common suitable types. It also mentions the importance of knowing the pinout for the chosen transistor and advises using pull down resistors for input signals. The possibility of using a KN2222 transistor instead of a 2N2222 is also brought up and the suggestion is made to compare their datasheets.
chemic_23
hello good day, would someone kindly help me determine the part number of these 4 npn transistors here? pls help, cause my prof didn't discuss this yet.. and i don't have idea on how to calculate for the values of the transistor to determine tha part number suitable for the circuit... many thanks (um this isn't homework by the way)

dig5a.gif

dig6a.gif

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, I take it you understand that the transistors are NPN>

Pretty well any small or medium signal NPN transistor will do here, they do not even have to be of the same type.

Common Suitable types might be

BC547/548/549
2N2222(A)
2N3704
2N3904
MPSA42/43
2SC1318

Remember these have different pinouts or connection arrangements so make sure you know the one for the transistor you actually use.

circuits drawn wrongly, in both 0v & +6v terminals are shorted on left side. in 1st circuit lamp terminals are shorted?

aks786 said:
circuits drawn wrongly, in both 0v & +6v terminals are shorted on left side. in 1st circuit lamp terminals are shorted?

Yes good catch.

You should detach the 'Earthy' end of those lines and use 1k 'pull down' resistors after the switches if you want to really define the states of the input signals.

o, i see, sorry I've overlooked that.. thanks.. um, btw, can i use KN2222 transistor instead of 2N2222? are they the same?

chemic_23 said:
o, i see, sorry I've overlooked that.. thanks.. um, btw, can i use KN2222 transistor instead of 2N2222? are they the same?

You should compare their datasheets. That's what we would do.

1. What is a part number for an NPN transistor?

A part number for an NPN transistor is a unique identifier assigned by manufacturers to identify the specific type and characteristics of the transistor. This number is used to differentiate it from other transistors and to ensure the correct one is selected for a particular application.

2. How is a part number determined for an NPN transistor?

The part number for an NPN transistor is determined by the manufacturer based on the transistor's specifications, such as its type, size, voltage and current ratings, and other characteristics. These specifications are typically printed on the transistor's datasheet and can help identify the part number.

3. Where can I find the part number for an NPN transistor?

The part number for an NPN transistor can usually be found on the transistor itself, printed on its body or etched onto its surface. It can also be found on the transistor's datasheet or packaging. If the part number is not visible, you can use the transistor's specifications to search for it online.

4. Can I use any NPN transistor with the same part number for my circuit?

No, it is important to use the exact part number specified for your circuit to ensure proper functionality. While transistors with the same part number may have similar specifications, they can still vary in terms of performance, which can affect the overall performance of your circuit.

5. Are there any alternatives to using the part number for an NPN transistor?

Yes, in addition to the part number, you can also use the transistor's specifications, such as its type, voltage and current ratings, and gain, to select a suitable replacement. However, using the exact part number is always recommended for optimal performance.