Designing Circuits with LDR and NTC :smiley:

In summary: Well done common! Your final circuit is a great solution for your problem. :smile:In summary, common's teacher wanted them to design circuits using elements like LDR and NTC. Common asked for help, but did not provide enough information about their level and understanding of the elements. Eventually, common shared their final design, which included an LDR, transistor, and motor to control curtains based on light levels. The circuit also included a NTC thermistor, but it is unclear if it was used in the final design.
common
hello everybody,

my teacher:mad: wanted me to design a few circuits like these;

1) an electronic termometer,
2) a circuit that switches on the lights and pulls the pitches in evenings

by using circuit elements like LDR and NTC.

pls help me

:uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Help us, help you!

What level are you working at?
What is a "LDR" and a "NTC" I am relatively familiar with control electronics, but am not familiar with these acronyms, others might be in the same boat.

What is "pulls the pitches in evenings"?

Integral said:
Help us, help you!
What level are you working at?
What is a "LDR" and a "NTC" I am relatively familiar with control electronics, but am not familiar with these acronyms, others might be in the same boat.
What is "pulls the pitches in evenings"?
Probably the "pitches" are the window blinds or something similar. But I'm in the same boat as Integral on the LDR and NTC acronyms. So, a little time at acronymfinder.com...

LDR
-- Light Detect Resistor
-- Laser Designator Ranger
-- Labor-Delivery-Recovery (room) -- yeah, that's probably it with the thermometer part... :rolleyes:

NTC
-- Negative Temperature Coefficient
-- Nepal Telecommunication Corporation
-- NASA Teleconferencing Center -- that's the parts about switching on the lights, I think... :rolleyes:

Hi Common,
Welcome to the Physics Forums.. you pose some interesting questions.
Just to give you a little head's up, if this is a homework question we have a section Homework>Engineering
where you can post those kinds of questions.

On homework and general questions, there are many of us willing to help, as long as you show us your thoughts first. (see #1 on https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94388)

As others have indicated, a good place to start is to tell us what LDR and NTC refer too. What are they? How do they function?
What grade level is this for? (that will help us gauge at what level to respond). Please feel welcome to the PF forums :smile:

ok everybody,
firstly I apologize to you because of my english, which is not very well.:frown:

LDR is the acronym of "light dependent resistor",
and NTC is "negative temperature coefficient".
berkeman was right.

but i couldn't understand the meaning of "what level" .

By "what level", Integral was trying to figure out how to tailor his help to the level that you are studying in school. Like, if you are in the US equivalent of high school (15-18 years old), then the answer will be fairly simple. If you are in a graduate year of college, then the answer will be more sophisticated (with temperature calibrations, microcontrollers, maybe some CE-Mark considerations, etc.).

It sounds like maybe you are in your first electronics class in college, right? What kind of building blocks are you folks using in your class right now? Transistors, opamps, microcontrollers, etc.? What textbook are you using? What Internet circuit design resources has your instructor pointed you toward so far?

common, you are asking us to do your work for you. We will not do this. FOr us to help you, you need to show that you are at least trying to help yourself. You need to give us more background on what you know and "what level" youre at. Show us what ideas/schematics you have come up with. We cannot reach into your mind.

Like was mentioned before:

Help us, help you!

Edit: looks like berkeman got to that first.

ok guys,

i solved my problem. i had needed a dumb circuit, which has one transistor and a few resistors and diodes etc.

but you were right, i hadn't give you enough data about my problem. forgive me, I'm new at electronics.

thanks for your interest...
o:)

Great job common,
But now you have me curious, what do your final circuits look like?

a dumb switching-circuit

Ouabache said:
Great job common,
But now you have me curious, what do your final circuits look like?

thank you Ouabache,
if you're curious really, I'm sending my designs. but these aren't professional jobs, namely don't worth seeing.

i will simply tell about how that circuit works:
LDR is "light dependent resistor", when the light coming onto it increases , ldr's resistance will decrease. or vice versa.

in usual, LDR's resistance is very low(300ohm) and behaves like a short-circuit. because of this, base-current of the transistor is approximately zero and transistor is cutoff.
in the evening, (sun downs and light decreases) our LDR's resistance will increase(a few Megaohms) and the current will flow above the transistor by force. thus the lights will be turned on and the motor will run and draw the curtains.
:redface:

Attachments

• electronic termometer.JPG
    electronic termometer.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 451
  • circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 410
Thanks for sharing common! :smile:
In your left diagram, I wonder what is the purpose using several diodes in parallel, with different values of resistance in series with each?

Did you happen to construct a circuit using the NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistor? If you are still thinking about that, this ref may give you some ideas.:rolleyes:

1. What is an LDR and how does it work?

An LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) is a type of resistor that changes its resistance based on the amount of light it is exposed to. It works by having a photoconductive material that decreases in resistance when light is present, allowing more current to flow through the circuit.

2. How is an LDR used in circuit design?

LDRs are commonly used in circuit design to detect and measure light levels. They can be used as light sensors to trigger other components or to control the brightness of a light source. They are also used in light meters and camera exposure control systems.

3. What is an NTC and what is its role in circuit design?

An NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) is a type of thermistor that decreases in resistance as temperature increases. In circuit design, NTCs are used as temperature sensors to monitor and control temperature in various applications, such as in thermostats and electronic devices.

4. Can an LDR and NTC be used together in a circuit?

Yes, an LDR and NTC can be used together in a circuit to create a sensor that responds to both light and temperature changes. This can be useful in applications where both light and temperature play a role, such as in greenhouse monitoring systems or in weather stations.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using LDRs and NTCs in circuit design?

One disadvantage of using LDRs and NTCs in circuit design is that they can be affected by external factors, such as electromagnetic interference, which can cause inaccurate readings or malfunctions. Additionally, their response time may be slower compared to other types of sensors. However, proper shielding and circuit design techniques can help minimize these issues.