1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit diagram confusion

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a homework problem, but I'm studying for the mcat, and had some trouble figuring out how to simplify a circuit. Could someone look at the attached picture pdf? (the diagram is painless, i promise) Are the circuits I have drawn the same?

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2
    It may take awhile to get your attachment approved. I would suggest uploading the diagram to a photobucket account (or something of the sort), and posting the link.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

All the resistors with values are connected to the same node in your drawing. Why wouldn't they be the same?

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4
    hmm, well i just thought it was a bit confusing, i didn't know you could move wires around like that, because maybe that would change which resistors are in series or in parallel. but i guess that's not true at all.

so bottom line is, you can move the wires however you like as long as its just wire and no resistors are moved/replaced?

6. Feb 25, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The key is topology as to which components are connected to which nodes. If you change that - you changed the circuit. But so long as the terminals are connected together at any node ... it really doesn't matter. (In high speed digital circuit layouts, it might for different reasons, like speed and noise. But for these kinds of DC circuits not.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook