Exploring the Circuit Diagram of Air: Capacitance and Zener Breakdown Voltage

In summary, the circuit diagram of a square inch of air would be very complex due to the high amount of capacitance and the breakdown voltage would depend on the shape of the electrodes.
vivi-d
Hello, as just a fun curiosity, I was pondering what the circuit diagram of a square inch of air would look like. I figured I would ask the folks here what you think it would look like...

I am thinking it would have a certain amount of capacitance, and maybe a very large zener with the breakdown voltage set at the ionizing voltage of air. What would it look like with variable caps or pots to account for pressure, temp, humidity?

Your thoughts are most appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
A square inch? or do you mean a cubic inch between parallel plates that are 1" square ?

Sorry, yes I meant cubic inch.

There would definitely by some capacitance associated with air. However, this also depends on the capacitor plates. Also, the breakdown voltage of air will depend a bit on the shape of the electrodes. I don't think that air acts as a zener either. Once an arc is established the voltage between the electrodes is much less than what it took to establish the arc.

Also once an arc starts they tend to blow themselves out. Hot air rises and the ionized air tends to drift upwards and away.

It's probably difficult to model air exaclty. From a circuit standpoint it will no doubt be extremely non-linear and high order.

The kinds of questions your asking are probably of interest to companies that make high voltage breakers and other equipment for utility companies. If you dig deep enough there is probably a journal article somewhere for this topic.

Edit:

You might try looking into arc fault studies. This is a branch of engineering that estimates blast energies for various kinds of electrical failures. The general practice is to study a real service and determine how dangerous certain areas are so that maintenance workers are given the proper safety equipment to work in that area. At the end, an area is placed into one of 4 safety categories. A level 4 area requires that maintenance workers wear a full blast suit. The goal of this kind of engineering is to place equipment in a manner that reduces the number of level 4 areas and increases safety.

I was never in the department that did this so I don't know too much about it but I bet that somewhere in their data are studies of how circuits behave when they arc.

Last edited:
Thank you both very much!

1. What is a circuit diagram of air?

A circuit diagram of air is a visual representation of the flow of air particles in a closed circuit. It shows the direction and magnitude of air flow, as well as any pressure changes that occur within the circuit.

2. How is a circuit diagram of air created?

A circuit diagram of air is created by using symbols to represent different components and processes in the circuit. These symbols are connected by lines that indicate the flow of air. The diagram is usually drawn using standard conventions and can be created using various software or by hand.

3. What information can be obtained from a circuit diagram of air?

A circuit diagram of air provides a visual representation of the flow of air in a closed circuit. It can also show any changes in pressure or other variables in the circuit. This information can be used to analyze the efficiency of the circuit and identify potential issues or improvements.

4. What are the benefits of using a circuit diagram of air?

A circuit diagram of air can help in understanding the behavior of air flow in a closed circuit and identifying any potential issues. It can also assist in designing and improving air circuits, as well as troubleshooting any problems that may arise.

5. Are there any limitations to using a circuit diagram of air?

One limitation of a circuit diagram of air is that it is a simplified representation of the actual air flow. It does not take into account factors such as turbulence, friction, or other variables that may affect the flow of air. Therefore, it should be used as a guide and not as a precise depiction of the circuit.