Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Diagram Questions

1. Aug 29, 2014 #1
    Hey guys im having trouble understanding this circuit. Can someone help me get through it, and explain to me what the signal is doing form start to end please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... you wanna maybe throw out a hint or two? Like, where did you get it, what is it supposed to be for, stuff like that ... you know ... REALLY basic information!

4. Aug 29, 2014 #3
    right.. im working on this memoir and dont know where to put my head anymore, sorry about that. I am working on a memoir in which I am talking about the Drum Machine! So i did all the history, the protagonist brands on the market today, and i thought it will be a good idea to build my own drum machine. looked on the internet for some ideas and found the Bleep Drum by Dr. Bleep. Great! so i bought one, built one with the easy instructions they have on there website, but i really want to explain in my memoire how everything works. So this diagram was downloaded straight from his website, and I let myself wrote what i knew, what i didnt...etc
    Here is a list of the bleep drum's components: 1x Cicruit imprimé sur carte
    1x Arduino Atmega328P chip
    1x MCP4901 IC chip
    1x Prise DIP 28 broches
    1x Prise DIP 8 broches
    1x Resonator de 16MHz
    1x Transistor 78I05
    2x Potentiometre 10K
    4x Boutons 12mm Bleu, Rouge, Jaune et Vert
    4x Boutons 6mm noir
    1x Capacitor 10uF
    2x capacitor 220uF
    5x Resistor 1k
    1x RGB LED
    1x Jack stéréo (1/8)
    1x interupteur SPDT
    1x Batterie 9V

5. Aug 29, 2014 #4
    Better picture

Here is a better picture

Attached Files:

6. Aug 29, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is your circuit/electronics background? Have you read the datasheet for that microcontroller (uC)?

7. Aug 29, 2014 #6
    there are no datasheet but here is the background:

Attached Files:

8. Aug 29, 2014 #7

berkeman

That's the component placement drawing.

And of course there is a datasheet. Just look it up on the web and download it to your PC to read.

9. Aug 29, 2014 #8
    What is a datasheet exactly? Do you mean the legend for the symbols?

10. Aug 29, 2014 #9

berkeman

No, a datasheet is published by the uC supplier. In the case of Arduino uCs, that supplier company is Arduino:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products

You should download the datasheet for the chip, to learn more about how it is used.

11. Aug 29, 2014 #10
    thank you for that, but this is datasheet is going way to profound, I really would like to know how basically the signal goes from a component to another and how is it affected by each of the components presented on the diagram. The chips are basically filters with programmed code inside in which the signal goes through right?

12. Aug 29, 2014 #11
    what I am understanding here is that the programmed code is the source of the sounds produced by the tactiles? so the resistors are used here more as regulators, whereas the two capacitor modifies the pitch and adds distortion (two codes included in the micro chip), tactiles would be switches, each letting the signal to interract with the sound connected to them

13. Aug 29, 2014 #12
    When you write about components in a schematic, it's good practice to remember to include their names, i.e. 'R1', 'C1' etc.

I guess you're talking about the signal path from the microcontroller to the jack output?

All the magic happens in the microcontroller itself. R3 and R4 is just a voltage divider to drop the level and C1 AC-couples the signal to block any DC component. The microcontroller feeds this passive network through a digital-to-analog converter, which is controlled using a SPI-bus.

14. Aug 29, 2014 #13
    That is it! thank for your quick answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook