How much energy is dissipated by the 25 ohm resistor?

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of energy dissipated by a 25 ohm resistor in a circuit where a 0.25 x 10^-6 F capacitor is initially charged to 50V and then connected in series with a 25 ohm resistor and a 100 ohm resistor. Using the formula PR = I^2R, and the conservation of energy principle, the amount of energy can be calculated by first finding the initial energy stored in the capacitor using the formula U = (1/2)CV^2 and then determining how much of that energy is dissipated between the 25 and 100 ohm resistors.
pari786
Question:

A 0.25 x 10^-6 F capacitor is charged to 50V. It is then connected in series with a 25 ohm resistor and a 100 ohm resistor and alowed to discharge completely. How much energy is dissipated by the 25 ohm resistor ?

Attempt:

I found a formula in the textbook related to this question:

The resistors dissipate energy at the rate:

PR = I^2R = (Delta V)^2 / R

I don't know what to do next ... and if I'm using the right formula. Please somebody help.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ok... conservation of energy
ask yourself, how much energy was stored in capacitor initially, then how do u think the energy are dissipated between the 25 and 100 ohm resistor? remember everything is in series... and you already have [tex]P=I^2 R[/tex]

mjsd said:
ok... conservation of energy
ask yourself, how much energy was stored in capacitor initially, then how do u think the energy are dissipated between the 25 and 100 ohm resistor? remember everything is in series... and you already have [tex]P=I^2 R[/tex]

Hi, Do you calculate the energy by this formula;

Q=CV
Q= (0.25 * 10^-6) ( 50)
Q = 0.0000125 C

ada15 said:
Hi, Do you calculate the energy by this formula;

Q=CV
Q= (0.25 * 10^-6) ( 50)
Q = 0.0000125 C

Your Q means "charge" not energy

formula for energy stored in a capacitor is given in most books or can easily googled...
[tex]\displaymath{U = \frac{1}{2}CV^2}[/tex]

What is a circuit formula problem?

A circuit formula problem is a mathematical equation that represents a circuit and is used to calculate the values of various electrical components within the circuit. It takes into account factors such as resistance, voltage, and current to determine the behavior and characteristics of the circuit.

What are the basic elements of a circuit formula problem?

The basic elements of a circuit formula problem include resistors, capacitors, inductors, voltage sources, and current sources. These elements are represented by symbols in the circuit diagram and have specific values and relationships that are used in the formula.

How do I solve a circuit formula problem?

To solve a circuit formula problem, you will need to use Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and other relevant formulas to determine the unknown values in the circuit. It is important to properly identify and label all the elements in the circuit and correctly apply the formulas to get an accurate solution.

What are some common challenges in solving a circuit formula problem?

Solving a circuit formula problem can be challenging due to the complexity of the circuit and the various equations and formulas that need to be applied. Additionally, errors in labeling or identifying elements in the circuit, as well as incorrect calculations, can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to double-check your work and use multiple methods to verify your solution.

What are some practical applications of circuit formula problems?

Circuit formula problems are used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and electronics to design and analyze circuits. They are also used in troubleshooting and repairing electrical circuits. Additionally, understanding circuit formulas can help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes, such as in electronic devices and power systems.