1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit From Transfer Function

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    I'm given the following transfer function:
    [tex]T(s)=\frac{50000s}{(s+50)(s+1000)}[/tex]
    and I need to constuct a circuit from it using opamps, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Capacitors must be 100nF.

I'm not quite sure how to start here. I managed to get a time domain version of the transfer function:
    [tex]T(t)=\frac{-50000}{19}e^{-50t}+\frac{100000}{19}e^{-1000t}[/tex]

The problem is I have no idea how to get started. I know that the time function looks like a capacitor discharging, however I don't know how to start going about turning this function into a circuit.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You should familiarize yourself with the transfer functions of the simple RC filters (low pass and high pass).

hint: An op-amp can be used as a buffer between filter stages (keeps them from interfering with each others corner frequencies and gains).

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    Ah, I see. So I can separate it into two systems with the following characteristics:

[tex]H_{1}=\frac{50000}{s+50} H_{2}=\frac{s}{s+1000}[/tex]

and buffer them together?

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you could.

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5
    Or I could interchange the numerators. Either way this puts me on a better track, I'll see what I can come up with.

7. Feb 26, 2013 #6
    I managed to solve it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted