1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit - Having issues with mesh analysis

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    This was a test problem on an exam of mine. The problem asks for you to find the current through the 8 ohm resistor, which is 2.5 amps. I can solve the circuit by superposition or by source transformation and then reduction, but I cannot seem to solve it with mesh analysis.

I defined three loop currents, one in each "windowpane". My loop equations are then:

Loop 1) 6 * IA = 36 V
    Loop 2) 12 * IB - 12*IC = 0
    Loop 3) -12*IB + 24*IC = 0

Solving those equations does not give me the correct answer. I think that my problem is that I'm not properly taking into account the 4 amp source, but my logic is that within the context of mesh analysis, that 4 amp source simply indicates that loop current B is 4 amps larger than loop current A.

Anyway, I'm stuck. I know for a fact that I should be able to solve this circuit through mesh analysis. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted