1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit help Please!

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    Circuit help!!! Please!

A battery is connecteed to a capacitor and the capacitor(C) is connected to an inductor(L) which si connected to a resistor (R) and the resistor is connected back to the battery ALL IN SERIES. A voltmeter is connected across the terminal of the resistor

Using [tex] I_{0} = \frac{V_{0}}{Z} [/tex]
    derive an expression for Io through the above described circuit as a function of frequency

Here anything with the subscript o means that it is the initial state.

I am not sure how they go about solving this but i know that the resonant frequency is given by

[tex] f = \frac{1}{2 \pi \sqrt{LC}} [/tex]

but i am not sure on how to proceed is there some formula i don't know or am i missing??
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
    It looks like you know what the voltage across the circuit is, right? (from the battery). Then all you have to do to get Io is calculate the impedance Z (analogous to resistance) for the whole circuit. There are simple closed expressions for the impedance of various circuit elements that I trust you have or can easily find (or even derive, with a bit of complex calculus).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?