Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circuit help Please!

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    Circuit help!!! Please!

A battery is connecteed to a capacitor and the capacitor(C) is connected to an inductor(L) which si connected to a resistor (R) and the resistor is connected back to the battery ALL IN SERIES. A voltmeter is connected across the terminal of the resistor

Using [tex] I_{0} = \frac{V_{0}}{Z} [/tex]
    derive an expression for Io through the above described circuit as a function of frequency

Here anything with the subscript o means that it is the initial state.

I am not sure how they go about solving this but i know that the resonant frequency is given by

[tex] f = \frac{1}{2 \pi \sqrt{LC}} [/tex]

but i am not sure on how to proceed is there some formula i don't know or am i missing??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2004 #2
    It looks like you know what the voltage across the circuit is, right? (from the battery). Then all you have to do to get Io is calculate the impedance Z (analogous to resistance) for the whole circuit. There are simple closed expressions for the impedance of various circuit elements that I trust you have or can easily find (or even derive, with a bit of complex calculus).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook