Circuit Troubleshooting: Need Help to Keep Lights On & Laser Bright

In summary, the conversation is about designing a circuit with light bulbs and a laser. The issue is that the light bulbs are using up most of the power, causing the laser to be dim. The solution is to have the light bulbs and laser wired in parallel instead of in series, using one switch or a relay to control the entire circuit. Additionally, some commercial lasers have a safety feature where a light must be on when the laser is active. The circuit is grounded to indicate which side is connected to the negative pole of the battery.
GW2VET
Circuit Help!

Help!

I am trying to design thsi circuit for some friends, however, having the 2 light bulbs in the circuit seem to "eat" all of the power, cuasing the laser to be VERY dim. Isn't there an electronic component taht i can jump across the light bulbs that will allow them to stay lit (no matter how dim) while letting the laser get close to full power? It is a 28 volt DC circuit with a 5 amp circuit breaker in it. The power source has a common ground with the circuit.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 401
Engineering news on Phys.org
you are trying to indicate that the laser is on??

Yes, i have it set up so it can be turned on or off from 2 different places, w/ indication that it is on. I would use lower impedence bulbs, but i don't have any. The Laser in infrared, so it can only be seen w/ NVG's.

going to bed now, if anyone can help, please do, thanks

Why not have your power indicator lamps in parallel with your laser instead of in series?

How would i do that?

You don't want your load (laser) and indicators to be wired in series; you want them to be wired in parallel. Use one switch on the the 28V supply for the entire circuit. Alternatively, use a relay to switch the laser's supply.

- Warren

Do it like this. Consider the LED to be the laser. Depending on the ratings of your lamps, you might want to put the lamps in series, maybe even with a resistor (but keep the laser parallel to them).

Attachments

• laser.JPG
    laser.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 420
i hope this pic comes out..
it shows your laser connected to your 28 V power source ..
you did not say how much current your laser uses ?? just that it had a 5A fuse..therefore i could not specify exactly what R1 should be..but it should be just enough to fully turn on both FETs thus turning on your indicator lamps when the laser is on .. also i did not include the switch but you can put it in the leg comming out of the battery positive..

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 392
chroot said:
You don't want your load (laser) and indicators to be wired in series; you want them to be wired in parallel. Use one switch on the the 28V supply for the entire circuit. Alternatively, use a relay to switch the laser's supply.

- Warren
Actually in some comercial lasers (Coherent) there is an Laser emission light that is on when the beam is active. It is a safety feature, the light MUST be on when the beam is on, the way it is wired if the bulb burns out the laser will not come on.

This is such a noob question, but why is willib's diagram grounded? I can see why cosmik's diagram is ground (to complete the circuit), but why does a circuit connected from - to + on the battery need to be grounded?

mister_okay said:
This is such a noob question, but why is willib's diagram grounded? I can see why cosmik's diagram is ground (to complete the circuit), but why does a circuit connected from - to + on the battery need to be grounded?
It is just to indicate which side of the circuit is attached directly to the negative pole of the battery. It is at the lowest potential of the circuit, zero volts.

1. Why are my lights not turning on?

There could be several reasons why your lights are not turning on. It could be due to a faulty circuit, a blown fuse, or a problem with the wiring. It is important to check all components of the circuit to identify the exact issue.

2. How do I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you should first turn off the power to the circuit and then check all the components for any visible damage or loose connections. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage. If you are unable to identify the issue, it is best to consult a professional electrician.

3. Why is my laser not as bright as it used to be?

The brightness of a laser can decrease over time due to a variety of reasons. It could be due to a decrease in power supply, a dirty lens, or a faulty laser diode. It is important to regularly clean and maintain your laser to ensure optimal performance.

4. Can I fix a circuit on my own?

While some minor circuit issues can be fixed by individuals with basic knowledge of electrical systems, it is always recommended to seek professional help when dealing with complex circuit problems. Attempting to fix a circuit without proper knowledge and training can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

5. How can I prevent circuit troubleshooting in the future?

To prevent the need for frequent circuit troubleshooting, it is important to properly maintain your electrical system. This includes regularly checking for loose connections, using surge protectors, and avoiding overloading circuits. It is also recommended to have a professional electrician inspect your system periodically.