Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit is driving me nuts

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I have attached a diagram of a wye connected motor load with open neutral. The circuit shows an inverter state with a DC-bus voltage from terminal A to G (ground). The following equations should hold:

V_AN = Z*Ia + Ea
    V_GN = Z*Ib + Eb
    V_GN = Z*Ic + Ec
    Ia + Ib + Ic = 0
    Ea + Eb + Ec = 0 (back EMFs sum to zero)

I want to prove that:

Ea/Ia = Eb/Ib = Ec/Ic

which would mean, according to:

V_AN/Ia = Z + Ea/Ia
    V_GN/Ib = Z + Eb/Ib
    V_GN/Ic = Z + Ec/Ic

that the impedance + back EMF in each phase can be replaced by the same effective impedance. I have verified this by simulation in LTspice.

This is probably very simple, but it has been bothering me all day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2
    Err, so I made a huge mistake when I did the simulation, Ea/Ia = Eb/Ib = Ec/Ic can't be proven because it doesn't hold :>

I was wondering why the phase voltages for the circuit I posted were the same for a passive circuit with equal phase impedances. This is naturally due to the fact that the phase voltages sum to zero in both cases (when back EMFs sum to zero):

V_AN + 2*V_GN = Z*Ia + Ea + Z*Ib + Eb + Z*Ic + Ec = Z(Ia + Ib + Ic) + Ea + Eb + Ec =>

V_AN + 2*V_GN = 0

which would be the same for the passive circuit.

If you took the time to mull over this, thank you, apologies :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook