1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit/magnetic field

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bar of length 22 cm that slides on two rails are connected together to make a complete electrical circuit. A magnetic field of strength 0.05 T directed out of the paper exists throughout the regions of space in which this machine is located. Assume that the distance between the rails l=20 cm and that initiaully the bar's sliding velocity is v=12 cm/s. Find the magnitude of the emf induced in this circuit.

2. Relevant equations

What equations should I be looking at? If it's an equation involving an integral, please give the final equation and possibly an explanation.

3. The attempt at a solution

The only equation I have available to me is emf = integ(E * dl). I don't know how I would get the electric field with the variables given, and I also don't know how I would get dl, as I don't think the length of the rails is given, just the length of the bar going across the rails and the distance between the rails.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2
    use the universal flux rule.

emf = d(phi)/dt = B da/dt = Bl dx/dt = B v
  4. Dec 9, 2006 #3
    So, my answer should be B*v=0.006 V? This is from a practice final, and the answer listed is 0.0012 V. Did we forget to multiply by 2 somewhere?
  5. Dec 9, 2006 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check your units, bsmack. Does B v have the units of time derivative of flux? You see there is a slight typo in estel's final line. It should read [tex] B L v [/tex]. What is the value of L for your system? (Make sure you pick the right one!)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  6. Dec 9, 2006 #5
    I think I figured it out. It should be emf = Bvl, correct?
  7. Dec 9, 2006 #6

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you have it now. Just figure out what L is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?