How to Solve Circuit Nodal Analysis for Vx?

In summary, the nodes at the top of the 2Ω resistors have potentials of -3V and -2V, respectively. The potential difference across the 6Ω resistor is -1V.
xlu2

Homework Statement

Find Vx.

QQ??20130527093529.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First since the undrawn voltage source is in parallel with the 2 ohms resistor. Therefore, I concluded that the voltage source is also -3V

For node labeled V1: Iin-(-3V/2ohms)+I from V3 to V1=0. (The first question is how can I get I in and I from V3 to V1?)

For node labeled V3:7A=I from V3 to V1 + I entering the parallel part

For the parallel part: V5-V6=Vx; Vx/6ohms+Is = I from V5 to V6.

For node labeled V7: I from V5 to V6 + (-4Vx)-(-2V/2ohms)=0
==> (V5-V6)/6ohms+Is-4(V5-V6)+1=0 (How do I find Is?)

Would someone please give me some insight on this circuit?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be over-thinking this exercise. Suppose you take the bottom rail (node) as the ground reference. Can you determine by inspection the potentials for the nodes at the tops of the 2Ω resistors? What then is the potential difference across the 6Ω resistor?

gneill said:
You may be over-thinking this exercise. Suppose you take the bottom rail (node) as the ground reference. Can you determine by inspection the potentials for the nodes at the tops of the 2Ω resistors? What then is the potential difference across the 6Ω resistor?

I see the 2 ohms resistor on the left side has a potential of -3V.

Since the 7A is in parallel with that resistor, the voltage across it is also -3V.

For the 2 ohms resistor on the right side, the voltage across is given to be -2V.

So the potential difference between Vx = V3 and V7 = (-3)-(-2)=-1 V

xlu2 said:
I see the 2 ohms resistor on the left side has a potential of -3V.

Since the 7A is in parallel with that resistor, the voltage across it is also -3V.

For the 2 ohms resistor on the right side, the voltage across is given to be -2V.

So the potential difference between Vx = V3 and V7 = (-3)-(-2)=-1 V

Yes, that's right.

Likes 1 person
gneill said:
Yes, that's right.

Thank you so much!

1. What is circuit nodal analysis and how does it work?

Circuit nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits by determining the voltage at each node (connection point) in the circuit. It works by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. What are the advantages of using circuit nodal analysis?

One advantage of circuit nodal analysis is that it can be used to analyze both DC and AC circuits with multiple sources. It also allows for a systematic approach to solving complex circuits and can provide more accurate results compared to other methods.

3. How do you set up equations for circuit nodal analysis?

To set up equations for circuit nodal analysis, you need to identify all the nodes in the circuit and assign a variable for the voltage at each node. Next, you write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, using the variables and known values in the circuit. Finally, you solve the resulting equations to determine the voltage at each node.

4. Can circuit nodal analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, circuit nodal analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage at each node must be determined relative to a reference node, and the equations will include the voltages of all sources in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using circuit nodal analysis?

Circuit nodal analysis may not be the most efficient method for very large or complex circuits, as it can involve a lot of equations and calculations. It also assumes that the circuit is linear and that all components are connected in series or parallel. Additionally, it may not be suitable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.