Resistor Circuit Analysis: Finding Total Resistance and Current Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the resistor total, current supplied by the battery, and current through a specific resistor. The given values include the resistances of four resistors and the electromotive force. The speaker shares their solution for finding the current through resistor R1 and suggests redrawing the circuit diagram for better understanding.
ahazen
Hi:) I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I need to find:
The resistor total, the current supplied by the battery, and the current through resistor R2.

Given:
R1: 3
R2: 7
R3: 12
R4: 10
emf: 6 volts

I found the current through resistor R1 by taking 6v/3= 2 amps

Thank you:)

Attachments

• Circuit.gif
    Circuit.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
your diagram is to pixelated to see which resistor is which but I always found the most useful thing for solving problems like this to be redrawing the diagram in an easier to understand way. check my pic it shold be the same circuit as yours but easier to understand. treat the whole middle group as one resistor initially and find the voltage and current through it - then break it down... hope this helps!

Attachments

• resistor group.png
    resistor group.png
    5 KB · Views: 420

1. What is a resistor in a circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that restricts the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that has a high resistance to the flow of electrons.

2. How do resistors affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Resistors reduce the amount of current flowing through a circuit by converting electrical energy into heat. The higher the resistance of a resistor, the lower the current will be.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm and is represented by the Greek letter omega.

4. How are resistors connected in a circuit?

Resistors can be connected in series or parallel in a circuit. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, the resistors are connected side-by-side.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3... are the individual resistances.