Circuit problem -- What voltage value makes the energy absorbed by the 6 ohm resistor....

In summary: The current is simply a direction. The potential is the magnitude of the force. The flow of current is always from a higher potential to a lower potential. (The current direction just helps us keep track of the sign of the potential.)
terryds

Homework Statement

257q0zd.png

A circuit is arranged like above.
To make the energy absorbed by the 6 ohm resistor every second is 1.5 J, voltage X should be ... Volt

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I really have no idea.
I just know that it's kinda like wheatstone bridge and the current that goes to the 5 ohm resistor is 0 ampere. But, it has nothing to do with the question.
Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the better-known unit for joules/second?
What formulas do you know for calculating this quantity when resistors are involved?

You'll need to write equations for and solve the circuit to find the current through the 6 Ω resistor in terms of the battery voltage.

gneill said:
What is the better-known unit for joules/second?
What formulas do you know for calculating this quantity when resistors are involved?

You'll need to write equations for and solve the circuit to find the current through the 6 Ω resistor in terms of the battery voltage.

I know it's called Power
P = I^2 R

But, how should I start? How to determine the current that goes in 6 ohm resistor ?

What have you been taught about KVL and KCL and writing circuit equations?

edit:
By the way, what was your logic in deciding that the current through the 5 Ohm resistor is zero? (It is a correct conclusion, but I'm curious as to how your arrived there).

gneill said:
What have you been taught about KVL and KCL and writing circuit equations?

Okay, I'll try..
P = I^2 R
1.5 = I^2 6
I = 0.5 A

So, the current that goes in 6 ohm resistor is 0.5 Ampere
The current goes in 5 ohm resistor is 0 ampere

I'll use mesh analysis.. Mesh 1 is the upper section, mesh 2 is lower section, mesh 3 is the right section

KVL on mesh 1

-2(0.5-0) -6(0.5) + x = 0
-1-3+x = 0
x = 4 Volt

Is it correct?

terryds said:
Okay, I'll try..
P = I^2 R
1.5 = I^2 6
I = 0.5 A

So, the current that goes in 6 ohm resistor is 0.5 Ampere
The current goes in 5 ohm resistor is 0 ampere
Okay, that's an excellent approach, working backwards from the desired result.

If the current through the 5 Ohm resistor is zero (why?) then where must this 1/2 Amp current flow?
I'll use mesh analysis.. Mesh 1 is the upper section, mesh 2 is lower section, mesh 3 is the right section

KVL on mesh 1

-2(0.5-0) -6(0.5) + x = 0
-1-3+x = 0
x = 4 Volt

Is it correct?
Yes. You only needed to consider that one loop because you already determined the required current and KVL must hold for that one loop. (And there is no mesh current in loop 3 to so loop 1 is effectively isolated (again, how did you know this?)).

To be more complete you should note that since the power dissipated in the resistor is given by I2R, the current can have two values: +1/2 and -1/2 amps. Squaring the current makes either one a positive quantity. That will give you two possible values for the battery voltage.

gneill said:
Okay, that's an excellent approach, working backwards from the desired result.

If the current through the 5 Ohm resistor is zero (why?) then where must this 1/2 Amp current flow?

Yes. You only needed to consider that one loop because you already determined the required current and KVL must hold for that one loop. (And there is no mesh current in loop 3 to so loop 1 is effectively isolated (again, how did you know this?)).

To be more complete you should note that since the power dissipated in the resistor is given by I2R, the current can have two values: +1/2 and -1/2 amps. Squaring the current makes either one a positive quantity. That will give you two possible values for the battery voltage.

The current through 5 ohm resistor is zero because the crossing product resistors are equal.
It's like the Wheatstone bridge but arranged differently.
The 1/2 Ampere will flow downward the resistor since the current through 5 ohm resistor is zero. (If the current is supposed to be clockwise in mesh 1)

I think -1/2 Ampere is not possible, unless the current is supposed to be counterclockwise

(I take the negative sign as upward the resistor, and positive sign as downward the resistor)

By KVL,

- x + 6(0.5) + 2(0.5) = 0
x = 4

which yields the same answer.

Is that right ?

terryds said:
The current through 5 ohm resistor is zero because the crossing product resistors are equal.
It's like the Wheatstone bridge but arranged differently.
Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you grasped the reason (and could recognize the scenario in similar problems in the future).
The 1/2 Ampere will flow downward the resistor since the current through 5 ohm resistor is zero. (If the current is supposed to be clockwise in mesh 1)

I think -1/2 Ampere is not possible, unless the current is supposed to be counterclockwise
There is no restriction on the current direction ... it is governed by the circuit potentials. If you reverse the battery potential then all current directions will reverse, too.
(I take the negative sign as upward the resistor, and positive sign as downward the resistor)

By KVL,

- x + 6(0.5) + 2(0.5) = 0
x = 4

which yields the same answer.

Is that right ?
Sure. And if the current direction were reversed?

gneill said:
Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you grasped the reason (and could recognize the scenario in similar problems in the future).

There is no restriction on the current direction ... it is governed by the circuit potentials. If you reverse the battery potential then all current directions will reverse, too.

Sure. And if the current direction were reversed?

You mean like this ?

- x + 6(-0.5) + 2(-0.5) = 0
- x -3 - 1 = 0
x = -4

So the potential can be 4 or -4 volt right ??
The negative and positive sign just tells that the current can goes either clockwise or counterclockwise, right?

terryds said:
You mean like this ?

- x + 6(-0.5) + 2(-0.5) = 0
- x -3 - 1 = 0
x = -4

So the potential can be 4 or -4 volt right ??
The negative and positive sign just tells that the current can goes either clockwise or counterclockwise, right?
Right.

Likes terryds

1. What is a circuit problem?

A circuit problem refers to a question or issue related to the flow of electricity in an electrical circuit. It could involve calculating voltage, current, resistance, or power in a specific part of the circuit, or troubleshooting a malfunctioning circuit.

2. How is voltage value related to energy absorbed by a resistor?

According to Ohm's law, the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. Therefore, a higher voltage value will result in a higher current and ultimately, a greater amount of energy being absorbed by the resistor.

3. What is the significance of the 6 ohm resistor in this circuit problem?

The 6 ohm resistor is a specific component in the circuit that is being analyzed. Its resistance value plays a crucial role in determining the amount of energy absorbed by it, as well as the overall behavior of the circuit.

4. How can the voltage value be calculated in a circuit problem?

In order to calculate the voltage value in a circuit problem, you will need to know the resistance and current values in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage value.

5. What factors can affect the energy absorbed by a resistor in a circuit problem?

The amount of energy absorbed by a resistor in a circuit problem can be affected by various factors such as the voltage value, resistance of the resistor, current flowing through the resistor, and the length and material of the wire connected to the resistor. Other external factors like temperature and surrounding magnetic fields may also play a role.