Solving a Circuit - Uncover the Concept Missing

In summary, the circuit in question involves resistors with known values and a current of 1.4 amps. Using the branch current formula, the total voltage is found to be 48.3V, slightly different from the calculated value of 50.4V. The discrepancy may be due to a missing concept, possibly related to using the formula for parallel connections.
patm95

Homework Statement

This is the circuit in question. # 31. R1-R3 = 2 Ohms R4=16Ohms R5= 8 Ohms
R6=4Ohms i6=1.4Amps

Homework Equations

V=i*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I see R5 and R6 as being in series, therefore r5*i6=11.2V
r6*i6=5.6V

Then I add them together=16.8V

Since I see the rest of the circuit in Parralel the voltages should be equal to one another so I take 16.8*3=50.4V

The back of the book says 48.3V

Any idea on what concept I may be missing?

Thank You very much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use branch current formula. If R1 and R2 are in parallel connection with I1 and I2 current, total current = I1 + I2. Then I1 = IR2/(R1 + R2)
Use this formula for each loop and solve for E.

I would first check the calculations to make sure they are accurate. Double check the equations and make sure all units are consistent. It's possible that there was a calculation error leading to the discrepancy between your answer and the one given in the book.

If the calculations are correct, I would then review the concept of voltage in parallel versus series circuits. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each branch is the same, while in a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the different components. In this circuit, R5 and R6 are in series, so the voltage across R5 should not be equal to the voltage across R6. Instead, the total voltage across R5 and R6 should be equal to the voltage across the rest of the circuit (R1-R4).

It's also important to note that in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the individual resistances, while in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This may also be a concept to review in order to fully understand the behavior of this circuit.

Overall, it's important to carefully review the concepts and equations involved in solving this circuit to ensure an accurate solution. If there are still discrepancies, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or colleague to clarify any misunderstandings.

What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop or pathway of electrical components that allows electricity to flow and perform a specific function. It works by using a power source, such as a battery, to supply energy to the circuit. The energy then flows through the circuit, powering the various components and completing the circuit loop.

What is the concept missing in solving a circuit?

The concept missing in solving a circuit is the understanding of Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, while an increase in resistance leads to a decrease in current.

What are the steps to solving a circuit?

The steps to solving a circuit include: identifying the components in the circuit, determining the direction of current flow, calculating the total resistance, using Ohm's Law to calculate the current, and checking the circuit for accuracy by using Kirchhoff's Laws.

What is the purpose of solving a circuit?

The purpose of solving a circuit is to understand how electricity flows through a circuit and to determine the values of voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

What are some common mistakes in solving a circuit?

Some common mistakes in solving a circuit include not considering the direction of current flow, miscalculating the total resistance, not using the correct units for voltage, current, and resistance, and not following Kirchhoff's Laws. Another common mistake is not properly accounting for the internal resistance of the power source in the circuit.