Solving Circuit with Large Resistor and Inductor: Q = CV?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a resistor, switch, battery, capacitor, and inductor. The inductor and a second resistor have an inductance of 0.01 henry. When the switch is closed, the oscillatorscope is triggered. The question is how to find an expression for the charge on the capacitor. The conversation suggests using Kirchoff's Laws to derive the answer.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hello:

I've this circuit:
-----Resistor (100000 ohms)---/ (switch) -------
| | |A
Battery Capacitor Inductor
| | |
| | Resistor2
|_________________________|______________|B
At points A, B, they are connected to a oscilloscope. The inductor/resistor2 combination have an inductance of 0.01 henry. When the switch is closed, the oscillatorscope is triggered.

I think that you'd have 2 currents, I1 and I2, if I1 flows clockwise through the large resistor and then I2 flows counterclockwise through the second loop of the circuit. I think you can isolate the loop of I2 since resistance in the first loop resistor is so large (100000 ohms). So then I can just do C is approximately 1/w^2L, where L is the inductance and w is the angular frequency (which I am supposed to determine on a separate chart). But I am asked how I am supposed to find an expression for the charge on the capacitor? I know that Q = CV. So then V across this LResistor2 combination is the same as voltage across C.

Homework Equations

Q = CV
I = dQ/dt
V = LdI/dt + RI

The Attempt at a Solution

do I have:
[tex]V = \frac{dI_{2}}{dt} + R_{2}I_{2}[/tex], which is
[tex]Q/C=\frac{d^{2}Q}{dt^{2}} + R_{2}\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex]
and then
[tex]V = R_{1}I_{1} + Q/C[/tex]?
Actually, not sure what to do about the rest? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your circuit diagram did not come through in any way that can be interpreted. Also, it is not clear what you are asked to find.

Oh sorry, but never mind. I will just use old Kirchoff's Laws and write down the expression fot voltage across the 2 loops, and then derive the answer that way. Thanks anyway.

1. What is the equation for solving circuits with large resistor and inductor?

The equation for solving circuits with large resistor and inductor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge on the capacitor, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

2. How do you calculate the charge on a capacitor in a circuit with large resistor and inductor?

To calculate the charge on a capacitor in a circuit with large resistor and inductor, you can use the equation Q = CV. First, determine the capacitance of the capacitor and the voltage across it. Then, simply multiply the capacitance by the voltage to find the charge on the capacitor.

3. What is the role of the inductor in a circuit with large resistor and inductor?

The inductor in a circuit with large resistor and inductor is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It resists changes in current, which can be useful in controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit.

4. How does the size of the resistor and inductor affect the circuit?

The size of the resistor and inductor can greatly impact the behavior of a circuit. A large resistor will limit the flow of current, while a large inductor will resist changes in current. Both can affect the time it takes for a circuit to reach steady state.

5. What are some real-world applications of circuits with large resistor and inductor?

Circuits with large resistor and inductor can be found in many electronic devices, such as power supplies and audio amplifiers. They are also commonly used in electronic filters to control the frequency of signals. Additionally, circuits with inductors are used in systems that require energy storage and release, such as in electric cars and renewable energy systems.