1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit problem

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    I have a circuit problem I'm having trouble with. I've attached an image of it.

[tex] Emf_1 = 3 V; Emf_2 = 1 V; R_1 = 5 \Omega; R_2 = 2 \Omega; R_3 = 4 \Omega[/tex]

Both batteries are ideal. a.) What is the rate at which energy is dissipated in [tex]R_1[/tex]?

Since [tex]P = i^2R[/tex], I figured that I should find the current. I used the loop rule (I'm not sure if I should have done this or not). I started at a point between [tex]emf_1[/tex] and [tex]R_3[/tex]. I pretended the current was pointed downward at [tex]emf_1[/tex] and upward through [tex]R_1[/tex] and [tex]R_2[/tex]. I called those last two currents [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]i_2[/tex], respectively. [tex]i_{total} = i_1 + i_2[/tex].

For the inside (left) loop:

[tex]R_3i_{total}+R_1i_1+emf_1 = 0[/tex]

For the outside loop:

[tex]R_3i_{total} + R_2i_2-emf_2+emf_1 = 0[/tex]

[tex]+R_3(i_1+i_2)+R_1i_1 = -emf_1[/tex]

[tex]-R_3(i_1+i_2)-R_2i_2+emf_2=-emf_1[/tex]

[tex](5\Omega)i_1-(2\Omega)i_2 = -7 V[/tex]

[tex]-(4\Omega)(i_1+i_2)-(2\Omega)i_2 = -3 V[/tex]

[tex]-(4\Omega)i_1-(6\Omega)i_2 = -3 V[/tex]

I solved the system of equations and ended up with [tex]i_1 = 0.95 A[/tex]. This isn't the correct answer, because [tex]i^2R[/tex] ends not equalling 0.346 W, which is the right answer.

I have the feeling I did something really wrong. Did I make it way too complicated? I have a tendancy to overdo things :smile:

~Silimay~

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi,

Two things I can see:

- With the way you defined things and the way you are going around your loops, the signs on your voltages should be switched (e.g. first loop eq should be R3itotal1+R1ii = 0).

- I think you made some algebra mistakes after that.

Try again and I think you'll get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?