Circuit question physics help?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding i1 and i2 in a circuit with parallel and series resistors. The process involves finding the equivalent resistance, dividing the voltage by the resistance, and using Kirchhoff's laws to solve for the currents. The participants also discuss finding the potential drop across a specific resistor and how it can be used to solve for i2.
Questions999
We the circuit that I have attached in the post.I have to find i1 and i2. So,to find i,I have to find the equivalent resistance and then divide the voltage by the resistance and find the current.So i take the resistances 15 Ohm and 10 Ohm like they are in parallel and 8 Ohm and 24 Ohm like they are in parallel too.I add this one to the 24 Ohm on the right.Then I take this and the (10 ||15) in parallel.I add the little 3 Ohm.Then we have an equivalent 8 Ohm.SO i1=8 Ohm.Awesoome.The problem is ,how to find i2 now?
Note : If it is not clear in the figure,i1 is near 3 Ohm and i2 is near 15 Ohm.

Attachments

• 2013-04-14-22145.jpg
    2013-04-14-22145.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 326
Physics news on Phys.org
In future, please use the posting template.

If you know i1, then you know the drop across the 3Ω resistor...

And how would that help me?

Elaia06 said:
And how would that help me?

It helps because you can find the potential drop across the 3Ω resistor.

Hehe,I get it,but how would finding that potential help me find i2? Give me a little hint :)

Elaia06 said:
Hehe,I get it,but how would finding that potential help me find i2? Give me a little hint :)

What else is connected to the other end of that resistor?

I don't get this.However,thank you.

Take a look at this diagram:
attachment.php?attachmentid=57890&stc=1&d=1366055301.gif

You can find the potential drop V1 across the 3Ω resistor. So what's the potential of node A with respect to the reference node?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 496
16 Volt?

Elaia06 said:
16 Volt?
Can you show your calculation?

To be honest,I guessed it.I have learned the kirchhoffs laws and applied them many times,but I don't know how to apply it here.

Elaia06 said:
To be honest,I guessed it.I have learned the kirchhoffs laws and applied them many times,but I don't know how to apply it here.

That's why I asked :smile:

What potential drop did you find for V1 (across the 3Ω resistor)? Do a "KVL walk" from the reference node, up through the voltage source, through the resistor to node A, summing the potential changes.

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path made up of wires and components that allows electricity to flow from one point to another.

What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit are a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductors (such as wires), and load (such as a light bulb or resistor).

How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by using a power source to provide electrical energy, which flows through the conductors and into the load, causing it to light up, heat up, or perform a specific function. The circuit is completed when the electricity flows back to the power source.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the same amount of current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided between the branches.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances.