Solve Circuit Question: Get Help Now!

• Thread starter bpollard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the circuit and how the voltage at A is affected by the two resistors forming a voltage divider. It suggests using V=IR to calculate the current through the resistors and using that to determine the voltage drops across them. It also mentions that when the switch at A is closed for a long time, the capacitor will "look like" an open circuit and not affect the voltage at A.
bpollard
Please see the attached word document for the circuit and further explanation. any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Cicuit Question.doc
    43.5 KB · Views: 169
Physics news on Phys.org
bpollard said:
Please see the attached word document for the circuit and further explanation. any help would be appreciated.

The voltage at A before the switch is [STRIKE]closed[/STRIKE] opened is not 5V. The two resistors form a voltage divider, so V(A) is less than 5V. Have you learned about voltage dividers yet?

If not, just use V=IR as you mention in the document, and figure out what the current is through the two resistors. Then use that current to figure out the voltage drops across the individual resistors.

Makes sense?

EDIT -- I see that I misread the question -- it asks for the steady state voltage when the switch has been closed for a long time. The rest of my comments still hold though.

Last edited:
The 800 and 3200 Ohm resistors form a voltage divider.

At steady state, when the capacitor has charged to whatever its final value will be (presuming some relatively long time has elapsed during which the switch at A was closed), the capacitor will effectively "look like" an open circuit -- no current will be flowing into or out of it -- the circuit will present a voltage at node A as though the capacitor was not present. What might that voltage be?

You might start by considering what current will flow through the two series-connected resistors.

What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires to carry the current, and various components, such as resistors and capacitors, that control the flow of electricity.

How do I solve a circuit question?

Solving a circuit question involves using the principles of circuit analysis, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, to determine the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This can be done through manual calculations or by using simulation software.

What is the best way to get help with solving a circuit question?

The best way to get help with solving a circuit question is to consult with a knowledgeable tutor or instructor, join a study group, or use online resources and forums. It is important to make sure the source is reputable and provides accurate information.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit question include incorrect use of equations, not considering the direction of current flow, and not accounting for the effects of components such as capacitors and inductors. It is important to carefully follow the steps of circuit analysis and double check all calculations.

How can I improve my circuit-solving skills?

To improve your circuit-solving skills, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of circuit analysis. Practice solving different types of circuits, and seek feedback and guidance from experienced individuals. Also, stay updated on new technologies and advancements in circuit design and analysis.