Current & Power After Battery Change Doubling EMF in Circuit

• Thread starter Erwin Schrodinger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, when a single resistor is connected to a battery and the circuit is changed by doubling the emf of the battery while keeping R constant, the current is 2 times greater than the original and the power dissipated in the resistor is 4 times greater than the original. Both relationships can be derived from the linear relationship between voltage and current in a resistor.
Erwin Schrodinger
A single resistor (R) is connected to a battery. The current is (I) and the power dissipated as heat is (P). The circuit is changed by doubling the emf (ε) of the battery while R is kept constant.

After the change, the current is how many times greater than the original?

original:
V = IR
V/R = I

after the change:
V` = I`R
2V = I`R
2V/R = I`
2I = I`

The current is 2 times greater than the original.

After the change, the power dissipated in R is how many times greater than the original?

original:
P = IV

after the change:

P` = I`V`
P` = 2I(2V)
P` = 4IV
P` = 4P

The power dissipated in R is 4 times greater than the original.

Are my answers and explanations correct? My textbook doesn't show the answers for even numbers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right. You did the algebra, so I'm not sure what more confirmation you need. But think about it conceptually: in a resistor that obeys ohm's law, there is a linear relationship between voltage and current. Hence, if you double the voltage supplied to the resistor, you double the current drawn by it. In other words, this is a question you can do by inspection, too. Same with the power. You should know that the power dissipated in a resistor is given by:

P = V2/R

or

P = I2R

(Do you now how I got these formulae? Eliminate either V or I from P = IV by substituting one expressed in terms of the other.)

..and so this is not a linear, but a quadratic relationship. Doubling either V or I will therefore quadruple the power dissipated. Those formulae allow you to arrive at the answer more directly, but skips out an intermediate step.

However, the way you arrived at the answer is very instructive and useful too! You thought it through step by step: "If I double the voltage, I also end up doubling the current (as we just showed), and so the power quadruples, since it is the product of both."

You can see that there is no difference between the two methods really. Both make use of the relationship between current and voltage, one just does so a little less directly.

Yes, your answers and explanations are correct. Doubling the emf of the battery will result in a doubling of the current and a quadrupling of the power dissipated in the resistor. This is because power is directly proportional to the square of current and voltage.

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is a measure of the electric and magnetic fields present in a circuit. It is often used to describe the strength of an electric field in a particular area.

How is EMF affected by a battery change?

When a battery is changed in a circuit, the current and power may be affected, which in turn can lead to a change in the EMF. This is because the battery is the source of energy for the circuit, and altering its properties can impact the overall functioning of the circuit.

Why does EMF double after a battery change?

This depends on the specific circuit and battery being used. In some cases, the voltage of the new battery may be higher than the previous one, leading to an increase in the EMF. Additionally, changes in the circuit's resistance or other components can also impact the EMF.

How does doubling EMF affect the circuit?

Doubling EMF can have various effects on a circuit, depending on its design and components. In general, it can lead to an increase in current and power, which can result in devices or components within the circuit working at a higher capacity or potentially causing damage if not properly managed.

How can I prevent EMF from doubling after a battery change?

To prevent EMF from doubling after a battery change, it is important to carefully consider the components and design of the circuit. This includes selecting a battery with a similar voltage to the previous one and ensuring that the circuit is properly designed to handle any changes in current and power that may occur.