How Do You Solve Complex Circuit Problems Involving Capacitors and AC Currents?

• Thread starter ShadowFX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation involves two circuit questions that are causing difficulty for the speaker. The first question, found on page 613 of The Cutnell Physics Sixth Edition, involves a light bulb connected to a 120.0V wall socket and requires the use of formulas such as P=I^2R and P=V^2rms/R to solve. The second question, found on page 616, involves capacitors connected in series and parallel and requires the use of equations such as V_1 = \frac{q}{C_1} and V_1 + V_2 = 30V. The speaker is seeking help with both questions.
ShadowFX
So I did a couple circuit questions and these two really have me stumped. One is on paye 613 of The cutnell physics sixth edition number 36. or:

(one star)
A light bulb is connected to a 120.0V wall socket. The current in the bbulb depends on the time t according to the relation I=(0.707 A)sin[(314HZ)t]
a) what is the frequency of the alternating current
b) determine the resistance of the bulb's filament
c) what is the average power consumbed by the light bulb?

from my guesses i believe you use P=I^2R and V/I=R kinds of formulas as well as P=V^2rms/R and P=I^2rmsR to solve bits and pieces but i don't know how to use time and alternating current to deal with this question... in fact i can't even approach this. can someone help me out?

The other question is 92. page 616 (one star)
A 3.00 mF and a 5.00 mF capacitor are connected in series across a 30.0V battery. A 7.0 mF capacitor is then connected in parallel across the 3.00 mF capacitor. Determine the voltage across the 7.00 mF capacitor.

with this question i just generally have no freaking CLUE how to do this other than the capacitors in series and capacitors in parallel equations... i really don't have any idea... help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
the second question horrifies me beyond repair... it looks so easy... but it isnt..? series is in reciprocal and parallel is in regular right...?

i think i got a 10V drop on the second question over the 7. but I'm not sure...

ok solved the second one... that i thought was harder. can someone help wiht the first? i need to know part b and c.

A little help...

For capacitors in series, the Voltage V across each can be found with [tex]V_1 = \frac{q}{C_1}[/tex] and these add up to [tex]30 V = V_1 + V_2[/tex].

Hope this helps a little :smile:

1. What is "Stumped by Circuit Questions"?

"Stumped by Circuit Questions" is a problem-solving method that helps individuals understand and solve complex circuit problems. It involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using logical reasoning to find a solution.

2. How can "Stumped by Circuit Questions" help me?

By using the "Stumped by Circuit Questions" method, you can improve your understanding of circuit concepts and develop problem-solving skills that can be applied to various real-life situations. It can also help you identify and correct any misconceptions you may have about circuit theory.

3. Is "Stumped by Circuit Questions" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Stumped by Circuit Questions" can be used by individuals at any level of experience with circuit theory. The method is designed to be simple and easy to follow, making it suitable for beginners who are just starting to learn about circuits.

4. Can "Stumped by Circuit Questions" be used for any type of circuit problem?

Yes, the "Stumped by Circuit Questions" method can be used for any type of circuit problem, whether it is a basic series or parallel circuit or a more complex combination of circuits. The key is to break down the problem into smaller parts and use logical reasoning to find a solution.

5. Are there any resources available for "Stumped by Circuit Questions"?

Yes, there are many online resources available for "Stumped by Circuit Questions" that provide step-by-step guides and practice problems to help you improve your skills. You can also consult with a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and guidance.