Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit Simulation Software

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    Hi I am working on a project at the moment and I was wondering if there is any circuit simulator that includes the PIC 18F4550 microcontroller. I currently use Crocodile Technology and I have tried editing the code to get the chip to just appear (I don't need it to do anything just sit there so I can wire around it) but it just crashes. So I am wondering if there is any software out there that has the chip in it. Also I want it to appear as it does in the datasheet i.e all 40 pins instead of just the i/o pins

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you put a chip in a simulator, if the chip is not going to do anything in the simulation?

I don't understand what you mean by "wire around it"?

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Just so I can see what parts I need and how I would wire it. If it could simulate that would be brilliant but the bare minimal is to be able to be put into a circuit.

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

trollcast

Gold Member

Does your simulator have blank ICs that are just rectangles with numbered pins?

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    It does but nowhere near the amount of pins on the PIC 18F4550

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are not actually going to simulate it, why not just use the schematic capture part of some PCB layout software ?
    I am pretty sure you can find symbols for PICs in say Eagle or DesignSpark (free versions available).

8. Feb 22, 2013 #7
    Thanks f95toli DesignSpark works out, thanks for the help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook