Symbol Meaning: "+" Enclosed in a Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symbols to represent analog multipliers and adders in electronic circuits. The symbol for an x enclosed in a circle represents an analog multiplier, while a "+" enclosed in a circle represents an analog adder. The conversation also touches on the concept of amplitude modulation and how it relates to the use of analog adders.
nimitzhunter
Hi,
I am reading this paper and it has a symbol that I don't know what it's called. So for an x enclosed in a circle, it represents an analog multiplier. What does a "+" enclosed in a circle mean? I know it's add the analog signal, but what is it called?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nimitzhunter said:
Hi,
I am reading this paper and it has a symbol that I don't know what it's called. So for an x enclosed in a circle, it represents an analog multiplier. What does a "+" enclosed in a circle mean? I know it's add the analog signal, but what is it called?

Welcome to the PF.

I'd just call it an analog adder:

http://www.mossbauer.org/images/Trends4.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, it's symbolic shorthand for a http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_4.html" ? Or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I get what it's used for. It's like amplitude modulation where you add together analog signals.

1. What does the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle mean?

The symbol "+" enclosed in a circle is commonly known as the "plus sign in a circle" or the "encircled plus sign." It is used to represent the addition operation in mathematics and can also be used to signify positivity, harmony, or inclusivity.

2. Is there a specific context in which the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle is used?

While the symbol has various meanings in different contexts, it is primarily used in mathematics and science to represent the addition operation. It can also be found in certain computer programs or applications, where it is used to indicate a positive action or a successful completion of a task.

3. Can the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle be used interchangeably with the standard plus sign?

Yes, the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle can be used interchangeably with the standard plus sign in most cases. However, in some contexts, such as in chemistry, it is used to represent a different operation called "electrophilic addition." Therefore, it is essential to consider the specific context in which the symbol is being used.

4. Is there a Unicode character for the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle?

Yes, the Unicode character for the symbol is U+2295. It is also commonly referred to as the "circled plus" or "circled plus sign" character. This character can be found in most operating systems and can be used in written or digital forms.

5. Are there any other symbols that are similar to the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle?

Yes, there are a few other symbols that are similar in appearance to the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle. These include the "encircled cross" (U+26AC) and the "encircled dot operator" (U+2299). However, each of these symbols has its distinct meaning and should not be used interchangeably with the symbol "+" enclosed in a circle.