Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit with both AC and DC

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    IMG_1481801473.286857.jpg

See picture, sorry that it's huge. V1 is a DC voltage and there is also an oscillating source of frequency omega. Let V be the voltage between the two resistors, I be the current exiting the cap, and I1 and I2 be the currents through the 2 resistors. Then we have: ## I_1 = (V - V_1) / R_1## , ## I_2 = V / R_2##, ##I_1 + I = I_2 ##, and ## I = - C \frac{d}{dt} (V - V_0 \cos (\omega t)) ##. Combining gives ## -C \frac{d}{dt} (V - V_0 \cos (\omega t )) = V / R_2 - (V - V_1)/ R_1 = V( 1/R_2 - 1/R_1) + V_1 / R_1##. The constant term can be eliminated with a substitution, and then the sign on the right hand side can be chosen to give a homogenous solution of the form ##e^{ax} ## with ##a > 0##, by choosing ##R_1## accordingly. This obviously makes no sense. Can someone see where I am setting this up wrong?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The sign or direction of I1 looks inconsistent.

4. Dec 17, 2016 #3
    Sorry for not updating. The current across R1 is inconsistent. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted