Calculating Voltage at Terminal A in a Two-Terminal Circuit

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, The conversation revolved around finding the voltage at terminal A with respect to B using the equations V=IR and I=V/R, given a circuit with a 10V voltage source, a 2 Ohm resistor, a 1 Ohm resistor, and a 3 Ohm resistor. After discussing the concept of parallel resistors and eliminating the 1 Ohm resistor from the circuit, it was determined that the voltage across the 3 Ohm resistor is equal to the voltage across terminals A and B. Using the equation V=IR, the voltage across the 3 Ohm resistor was calculated to be 6V. This was confirmed through the use of a Voltage divider equation and KCL analysis.
magnifik

Homework Statement

help please! i am trying to find V at terminal A with respect to B

Homework Equations

V=IR
I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

so this is my thought process:
the answer should be 10 V because the voltage is the same for a parallel resistor, but the thing that throws me off is that terminal is has a resistance of 1 Ohm so I'm not sure if my answer is right. help please and thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's incorrect. The 1 Ohm resistor is just a wire as there is no current flowing through it so it can be ignored. So now you basically just have that first loop. The voltage across terminals A and B is the same as the voltage across the 3 Ohm resistor, right? How can you find the voltage across that resistor?

okay. with that info, i got the voltage across the 3Ohm resistor to be 6.00 A

is this right?

because i added 2 and 3 since it is in series so that gives total resistance
v=IR
I=V/R
I=10/5
I=2
V=IR for the 3Ohm resistor
V=2(3) = 6

Yep that's right. Also, if you want to verify your answer you could do a Voltage divider equation... V = 10V * (3 / (3+2) ) = 6 or KCL analysis at that top node so (V1 - 10V)/2 + (V1 - 0)/3 = 0 and then solve for V1 which ends up being 6V.

Of course the way you did it is the easier way, I'm just showing you other approaches and verifying your answer :p

thanks for the help. and i meant 6.00 V, not 6.00 A but I'm sure you figured that out

What is a circuit with two terminals?

A circuit with two terminals, also known as a two-terminal network, is a basic electronic circuit that contains two electrical terminals connected to a power source. It can be used to control the flow of electricity and is the building block for more complex circuits.

What are the components of a circuit with two terminals?

The components of a circuit with two terminals typically include a power source, such as a battery, and two conductive materials, such as wires. It may also include other components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

How does a circuit with two terminals work?

A circuit with two terminals works by allowing electricity to flow from the power source through the two terminals and back to the source. This flow of electricity creates a closed loop, allowing the circuit to function and power any connected components.

What are some common uses of circuits with two terminals?

Circuits with two terminals are used in a wide range of electronic devices and systems, such as light bulbs, radios, and computers. They are also commonly used for basic electrical testing and measurement purposes.

What are the differences between series and parallel circuits with two terminals?

In a series circuit with two terminals, the components are connected in a single loop, with the flow of electricity passing through each component in order. In a parallel circuit with two terminals, the components are connected in separate branches, allowing the flow of electricity to split and flow through multiple paths. This results in different characteristics and behaviors for the circuits.