1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuitry theory analysis

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    hi, im wondering if anyone can answer this question of the following circuit setup, thanks:

an AC source connected parallel to a volt meter, together in series with an ampmeter, then series with some sort of device. No numbers are given. Volt and Amp meters are both ideal. What is the power delivered to (across, dissipated by, would there be any difference) unknown device, relative to Irms * Vrms.
    thank you.

i uploaded a scheme.
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9852/untitledml4.jpg

thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2006 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You already gave the answer, P = Irms * Vrms. Power is delivered to or dissipated by the device (not "across").

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what the point of your question is. There is a concept of "apparent power" that can be measured with your rms meters, but that may not be telling you the true power delivered to the load. If the load is purely reactive, no power is actually delivered.

Here is a rather clear discussion of the problem.

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/AC_11.html

5. Nov 16, 2006 #4
    well, thats what im kinda asking. This unknown device is not defined. but generally speaking, what is the power dissipated by the load?
    is it equal to IV
    less than IV
    or possibly equal to IV even when capacitors and inductors are present?

6. Nov 16, 2006 #5

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, I wasn't thinking of reactive loads. My bad :blushing:

7. Nov 17, 2006 #6

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The link I posted takes you through the possibilities. You cannot tell with your rms meters the true power being dissipated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?